Friday, December 30, 2005

This post is in response to my fellow blogger, Sean's, mourning of the death of his cat.
It is always difficult to lose a beloved pet.
They become family members - an integral part of our lives - loved.

I have had a soft spot for animals for as long as I can remember. My parents constantly relate stories about my bringing home stray dogs, cats, baby birds, fish and even toads!

My first official pet was a blonde and white guinea pig.
I named him "Whiskers".
I think I was about eight years old.
He was my pride and joy and I loved and cared for him like there was no tomorrow.
Apparently, there was no tomorrow... Whiskers developed several serious tumors about his throat and my Dad had to "put him out of his misery". I was absolutely devastated.
It was my first experience with the death of someone close to me, and I still vividly remember my Mum and Dad consoling me afterwards.
My parents were very sympathetic and understanding, yet pragmatic at the same time.

In the years since, I have experienced many aspects of the animal world.
For several years I worked with horses and during that time, I have observed the miracle of foals being born, as well as the trauma of horses being put down due to illness or injury.

When I was an idealistic eighteen year old, I had my favourite horse die with his head in my lap.
It was during my first working summer when I was a counselor/riding instructor at a local riding academy.
A truckload of horses had recently been purchased to augment the existing string of lesson mounts. One giant, gangly horse in particular, whom I named "Caesar Augustus", became my special friend. "Gus" was a generous soul who gave all he could into the work that was demanded of him.
He was the butt of several jokes by some of the other instructors, as he was rather clumsy and odd looking, but he had wrapped himself firmly about my heart.
As the days went by, I couldn't help but notice that he continued to become more and more dull and listless. I could see that he was not thriving - I saw that he was dying.
No one appeared to have the same desire as I to help this creature who was totally dependent upon us.
I did all I could during his last hours - including inciting the wrath of my employers.
It was a "business", after all...
I was reprimanded for using a "good" horse blanket to cover Gus during his last sweating and quaking hours.
As well, I was informed that I should not raise the ire of the younger campers by bringing the event to their attention.
It was a "business", after all...

In the years since, I have lived, learned and come to realise the importance of animals in my life. I have never been without a household "pet".
I no longer work with animals, because of the fact that they lose their "humanness" in the name of industry. It's not that I have any bad feelings toward those who do, I just don't have the heart for it. Sometimes I wish that I did.
If that was the case, I would still be working with animals...

A long time ago I made a conscious decision to keep my love of horses as a hobby, so I could enjoy them to a greater extent. In my case, the decision was a wise one.
At the moment, I have other responsibilities that supersede my horses and I have put that lifestyle upon "the back burner".
Once my children are older and on their own, I will return.

My own horse, "Red", who is out to pasture in the literal sense, is aging.
He is going on twenty-seven years old and he has been my buddy for eighteen years.
We have been on many adventures together and I was once in the position where I had to trust Red with my life - and he came through.
I know that one day I will receive the message that I should come to collect his remains.
Believe it or not, I have his "plot" picked out!
My good friend owns a farm and she has a place where she has buried her old horse who was once a good buddy of Red's. In fact, they were "corral-mates" for several years.
My horse's place is next to his.

My family now consists of "Red" the horse, "Spoons" and "Chicken Nugget" the goldfish, "Henrietta" the guinea pig, "Scat" the cat and "Murphy" the golden retriever.

Oh... And I have to remember that I also have a husband and three children!

6 comments:

  1. How on earth did a goldfish get a name of Chicken Nugget. That is the funniest thing I think I have ever heard of! ROFL!!!

    My ring was a gift for my 3rd anniversary and my 30th birthday last year. Both happened within 9 days of each other. I did get a beautiful ring when we got married but it was more modern and I wanted one with an antique feel to it. SO one for each mood I guess! LOL. I get huge discounts in diamonds and pearls as well so hey when you can get it why not I say!

    Love the story about your chest! What a screaming deal!! You sound like a bargin gal such as myself! way to go and nice to tip well I think also :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year to you and your family my friend.

    Peace, love and light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Chat after the New Year" will take place on Sunday January 8th 2006 at 2pm Mountain time at BallerinaGurl's. Will be inviting special guests so you never know who will show up and make our time more enjoyable.

    Peace, love and light.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh, a fellow animal lover. Our house justw ouldn't be the same without our 2 cats. I totally understand about animal loss too, having lost quite a few over the years to old age. My parents now have a 20 year old cat (one of the cats from my childhood!) and you never know when you're going to wake up and he doesn't!

    Thanks for visiting to my blog! Hope to see you there again! :) Happy New Year!

    Mary Beth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dale,

    Nothing profound. Just wanted to wish you and your family a happy, prosperous 2006.

    Get the fix in 2006.

    Day 5 going up tomorrow if I can finish it tonight.

    Thank you for your more than kind comments.

    Peace, love and light.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wanted to send a Happy New Year wish to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete