Saturday, August 16, 2008

It's Amazing What They'll Do For Attention

This morning, as I rounded the corner behind the house on my way to work, a little four-point muley buck jumped out onto the road in front of me. (The grass is always greener on the other side of the road...)
As we live in wildlife country, keeping an eye out for animals at the roadside is second nature for us, so this was not an unusual occurence. What was unusual was the fact that his antlers were adorned with a lovely set of silver wind chimes. The whole kit was dangling and swinging jauntily from his right antler.
My first reaction was to laugh out loud but, in the next second, the reality of the situation sank in. I felt pity for this poor creature who now has to contend with those noisy, man-made tubes rattling and ringing about his head. Not to mention that every time he lifts his head quickly (which deer do often enough), those tubular bells smack him square in the face.
Later in the day, as I arrived home from work, a familiar sound met my ears - the cheery sound of wind chimes...
And there he was, that unfortunate ungulate, happily feasting upon the apples from the neighbour's tree - chimes swinging and ringing merrily.
I've also noticed that his herd buddies are conspicuously absent...




17 comments:

  1. Oh, that poor, poor creature. My heart aches for him. He's got to be wondering how in the world he got in this mess...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agh Dale, that's so sad! The poor thing will be ostracised by all his fellows in the herd, and he will be an easy target for hunters too, if there are such people around there. Is there no way he can be helped to be rid of these disruptive danglers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah, the quiet beautiful sounds of peaceful nature. Hope he loses them soon. eesh. silly buck! no really, he will probably shake them loose.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness Dale!! That silly yet poor buck,I sure hope he gets some relief from those chimes soon.

    Such great photos of him and that is so amazing that he wound up in your neighbors yard.

    Thanks for stopping by! I rediscovered the video from
    a guy who posted it on his
    site. GREAT STUFF INDEED!

    Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also had a giggle b4 the awwww. beautiful pics by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The poor deer..I mean dear...oh I hope he's shaken those noisy things off by now. Definitely something you don't see every day...

    For something else you don't see every day, check out the vid on my blog. I just couldn't resist posting this Iowa State Fair highlight...

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dale when I was small I had a toy polar bear that I called Ah dear dear...well, in this case, it's ah dear deer!

    Hope he got free of those chimes quickly, poor thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Dale,

    I see that Canada is starting to win some medals! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Dear,

    What a dingaling

    >>>>>>>>>>>>>

    ... and yeah to Canada getting some medals, including gold in Dale's favourite sport! That gold medalist sure has a story of his own that could be turned into an amazing movie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How funny and yet how sad for the poor thing. I hope he shook them off before the sound drove him mad.

    xx
    AM

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Dale, hoping all's well with you, dear. Been looking forward to a post on your summer, so now......?

    ReplyDelete
  12. lol! Dale you really should send Ian that photo!
    Poor thing, but I did giggle...
    Looking forward to seeing you next week!
    xo
    S

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dale, this would drive any creature mad! Any chance he might have been able to rub his antlers against a tree or a fence or something and freed himself? I can't imagine he'd let anyone get close enough to do it for him.

    I have a set of wooden and metal chimes hanging from a gum tree in the back yard here, but the only examples of wildlife likely to go near them are birds, possums and teenagers, none of which has antlers. I know, I know - you learn something every time I visit.

    Hope all is well in your world Dale.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Dale,

    glad you liked the Pete and
    roger interview.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Right now.....oh..it's still the same post..hmmmm, come back later ms P.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The bells! The bells!!...

    My ding-a-ling...My ding-a-ling..I want you to play with my ding-a-ling..

    Enough with the songs!, I hope he was freed of them..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Dale! Happy September!

    Well, I had the weirdest thought ... what if that buck LIKES the chimes? Maybe he did it on purpose. Start a new trend amongst the herd. :o) I'll bet he'll shake 'em off soon. The strings can only last so long ... This is an amazing photo. And my first reaction was also to lol. He'll be okay, I just know it. You'll know when he comes to visit .. for a while anyway. See you soon!

    xo Tink

    ReplyDelete