Tuesday, September 09, 2008

It Was a Scream

A view of the water park from the steam train.

One hot, sunny weekend in July we found ourselves in the funky town of Sandpoint, Idaho. Gene and I drove there, accompanied by Bobby and Jenny, for three days of fun - the weekend's main attraction being the nearby Silverwood Theme Park.
Upon arrival at the grounds, I was rather intimidated by the size of the rides, but the kids were keen and I, not to be outdone for one moment, ended up riding every attraction with them.
To my immediate relief, we began with a rather mild, yet informative, tour on an old steam train around the perimeter of the park. Our conductor was brimming with interesting facts about the park and its history, as well as the train itself. Apparently there had been a bidding war between Silverwood and Disneyland for the authentic locomotive, with Silverwood having the last word.
Without being too obvious about it, I made sure that we began with the more innocuous rides, such as the bumper cars, spinning strawberries and tilt-a-whirl, but those rides eventually drew us closer and closer to the Corkscrew...gulp. I had conflicting desires about riding a roller coaster - let alone one that loops upside down! The kids got bounced about a bit in the restraints, but it really was quite fun!
The following attraction was a wet one on a tube that bobbed over a series of whitewater rapids through a canal. We then "spun dry" on a dizzying ride that held our bodies tight against its mesh walls using cetrifugal force - thirty feet in the air.
But, my mouth really went dry as we headed toward the inevitable Tremors, a large timber structure upon which galloped several brightly-coloured cars containing screaming occupants careening at unfathomable speeds - uphill and down.
I was committed.
We stood in line for nearly forty-five minutes as the queue twisted and turned, offering different angles from which to view the horror we were volunteering to suffer. But, if Bobby and Jenny were going to do it, I was along for the ride.
And a ride it was!
I hung on for dear life as we rattled and plunged at one hundred kmph into, what I considered, a tiny black hole in the ground (don't try to tell me that was a tunnel...) then fighting to keep my head vertical as we pulled four G's on the way back up the next incline. All I could do was close my eyes and croak, "Oh Shit!" through clenched teeth as we screamed and clattered at breakneck speed through the next series of soaring summits and daunting drops into tiny black holes in the ground.
For the anti-climax, we rode the Corkscrew again. Twice.
As for the rest of the weekend, it was spent dining, swimming and relaxing on the beach, all the while continuing to live on the edge by getting deliciously sunburned...

Bobby, Jenny and me heading for a tiny black hole in the ground.

11 comments:

  1. Oh Dale! You do make me laugh! I think you were an amazingly good sport to go through all that with the kids. I remember doing the same sort of thing once with my kids...but that was about 15 years ago - when I was very young ;-)

    I loved your description of waiting for the ride...watching the hell you were volunteering for. Great! and then, the antimclimax..the corkscrew twice. LOL! Well done and well written. Gave me a great chuckle to go to bed on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where am I when you need me? I would have loved to hold your hand and aother bits in jeopardy, while enjoying this sensational ride ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Held (a)other bits in jeopardy? protected them I meant to say of course!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Val, it took me 41 years to regain the courage to ride a roller coaster. The last one I rode was at La Ronde at Expo '67 in Montreal when I was 10. I enjoyed these rides so much more - I think that sharing with the kids made it so.

    LOL Koos! Yes, where were you when I needed you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a great get-a-way! I like the dining, swimming and relaxing bit though. As i get older, i find i can't stomach those rides like i used to.
    I love your adventures, keep em coming!
    smiles and hugs
    cherylann

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Lesley, it was fun!

    Cheryl-Ann, the dining (fabulous, by the way) and relaxing were a great way to top it all off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dale, that is a great picture on that ride.

    What a wonderful day, I like the way you wrote about it. Good for you committing yourself, to all the rides. I would've probably chickened out on those crazy ones.

    have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I've found my definition of Hell in what you're writing about. Hell would be riding roller coaster for eternity.

    I love your description, but it hasn't convinced me I ever want to go on a twisty coaster again. Although I did like Splash Mountain at Disneyland... but that's a water thing,and it was easier at night because in the darkness, it really is a black hole.

    xx
    AM

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mad, mad woman! I'm afraid I would have stopped after the steam engine. You obviously have a latent Adrenaline Junkie streak Dale. Me, I have a not-even-slightly-latent-in-fact-right-up-there cowardly streak. Heights, drops, spins and splashes are terrifying to me, although I can do heights if there's no other force at work. (Ferris wheels at a pinch.)

    Having said that, I admire your bravery and determination not to be shown up by Jenny and Bobby's willingness to sumbit to such things. You are one impressive babe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Dale, I think Koos would agree with me if I say there's no one we would rather share our journeys with vicariously than you!

    I think you would have loved the rollers on the estuary as much as your escapades with Bobby and Jenny. It's just as much of an adrenalin rush!

    Likewise, however, I love to share your images of your mountain world. Sometimes, my heart craves the hills, and we have to go so far to see anything more than just a blip on the horizon - or some extra tall trees!

    ReplyDelete