Saturday, February 28, 2009

I'll Do Anything To Win


This lovely bonnet is the prize I won at this year's Starlight Challenge.

Not for skiing fastest.
Not for having the smallest differential.
Not even for skiing slowest...

While racing last weekend, I took a tumble that left a gate looking like spilled matchsticks and me feeling slightly more dazed and confused than usual.
I skied too fast and low into the turn at one gate, causing me to slide then slam sideways into the gate below. The result catapulted me ass-over-tea kettle down the hill and straight into the Starlight Challenge record books... with the dubious title of "Best Crash".
I smacked my head quite hard on the snow, but my helmet did its job. I was also bruised up a bit, but skied away from the fall none the worse for wear.
Needless to say, my times at the wind-up last night were considerably slower...

9 comments:

  1. Best Crash! wow, what a crash it sounds like. Holy crap. Glad you are still in one piece. And since you are - they gave you a award. :)

    I liked your jokes.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol Grace - I guess that's why!
    I only remember it in slow motion...

    I liked your jokes, too.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch. I read your posts to validate why I don't ski. I'm too beat up at low altitudes, never mind with gravity helping. :)

    It's a lovely, hard-earned cap. I hope the recovery is quick and painless!

    xx
    AM

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol Anne-Marie, there was no recovery time at all, as I didn't hurt myself, luckily.
    Ha Ha! I've spent all these years learning to stand up on my skis, so I don't fall very often... thank goodness.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agh! Dale! That sounds like the worst crash that some brave skiier got up and walked away from. Well done you for recovering so quickly, and the cap was well earned! You deserve the award for being so gutsy! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the pic by the way..talk about a rueful expression ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Know all about crashing, just broke my tailbone, feel for ya

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ow! "Best Crash?" lol ... oh boy. Don't know which hurt worse ... the tumble or the award?

    Glad you're okay, Dale!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dale:

    Very, very informative! Now, that is too funny....AND....GREAT PHOTO!

    Love it all,

    --Dan L.

    ReplyDelete