Monday, October 04, 2010

Going West

The Trans Canada Highway - meeting construction head on in Salmon Arm. This city, located at the southern tip of Shuswap Lake, is considered to be the "houseboat capital of the world". Ahead of us are Gene's brother, Larry, and wife, Heather. On the first day, we convoyed to Whistler over the beautiful and remote Duffy Lake Road, then stayed in a finely appointed suite at the Club Intrawest Hotel for the night. After a delicious Italian meal at the popular Umberto Menghi's Il Caminetto, we were indeed ready to collapse into a soft, downy bed!

Day two saw us waving good-bye to the Mainland after traveling the newly-upgraded Sea to Sky Highway down the rocky coast of Howe Sound. We sailed from Horseshoe Bay and chugged our way across the Straight of Georgia to Nanaimo on Vancouver Island. This is one of the largest and busiest ferry terminals in the province. Operated by BC Ferries as part of the public transit system, the ferry ride cost $75.00 for Gene and I to cross in my mini van.

Larry, Heather and Eugene on deck. The weather - cold and foggy, with misty rain and a spray of salt to top it off. The seas were relatively calm and the crossing was smooth.

This is myself squinting into the wind and, at the same time, leaving a fair-sized wake behind me. The ferry was large, therefore it was deceptively slow. I don't know at what land speed we traveled, but it was not at a snail's pace, to be sure!

Two ships passing in the fog - about fifteen minutes out of Nanaimo. The weather became steadily wetter as we approached The Island. The steward soon annouced that all those traveling via vehicle must go below to prepare for docking and disembarkment.

We were then on to the next stage of our travels.



10 comments:

  1. reminds me of Sweden except for the fog. and what reminds me is what everyone is wearing yet at least you were traveling across the Straight of Georgia in September (and not in June!).

    Lovely to see you!!! I love the green hoodie jumper. I love the fresh air. Very neat.

    -ginab

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol Gina

    I think the land is fairly similar to that of the Noric countries, but for the towering mountains - hidden behind a thick cloak of fog...
    I'm sure we'd have been wearing the same thing in June, too!

    And thanks! I love the green hoody sweater, as well. It's a really neat and warm piece of outer wear. Although, not being used to rain as they have on the Coast, I did not bring anything waterproof... But I did stay warm in wool!

    I might take a pic to show you. It has nice designs.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dale, what a wonderful journey you were having there. I'm intrigued by this houseboat capital of the world, and shall now investigate.

    Lovely writing too. I'm looking forward to the next episode!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great journey in a beautiful part of the world. I have to say that your pic brings to mind your sister in a way that your other photos have not- you really see the family resemblance in this one.

    Val, I am curious about the houseboat capital too.
    xx
    AM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dale, wonderful sounding trip! Thanks for sharing your photos, it does look cold!

    Lovely you and the water.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Val, you can Google it, I'm sure. It's a very popular spot to spend a week or so on the lake.
    The houseboats don't resemble a Dutch barge in any way! Some are built large enough to house up to a dozen people - and a hot tub.

    I see the resemblance, too, AM! Although I look more like my Dad and Lesley looks like Mum.

    I was hoping to have enough time (and money) to head even farther south and visit you, Grace. Alas, we weren't able to swing it. We even had to shorten this trip, as it was.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. DOH!
    Meadows! Of course! DO you know I only just put this together? And I cannot even take credit for that because you flat out said it!
    Why it never occurred to me that Gene and Heather and siblings is beyond me. Good Lord....
    Looks like you had fun! I love the coast... almost as much as the valley! talk soon...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was wondering about that Dale, I was going to ask.
    There is always another time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, I did a similar trip years ago as a young child...I sometimes wonder what I would remember were I to feel and sense the same fog, sounds, smells and sights!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful photos Dale and such a beautiful shot of the mainland sounds like a wonderful time had by all - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete