Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Secrets of the Garden

Being in touch with the earth.
The literal sense will also take us to where we need to be figuratively. My fingernails currently bear signs of the moist, black soil in which they were immersed - and where they will return. I cannot imagine living high above the ground, within blocks of stacked, drywalled capsules, where I cannot stretch my toes and touch the grass from my stoop. However, the large attached deck that soars above the ground, is my refuge during the warm summer months and upon it I tend my garden, a riot of cascading colour, that thrives in clay pots and planters. From this vantage, I may cast my eye over the valley and accept the peace it offers up. The purpose of this garden, jutting out from the hillside as it is, is as practical as it is aesthetic, for the local ungulate population has a voracious appetite - petunias, begonias and pansies; apparent delicacies. The lawn, on the other hand, slopes from the gravelled road in front, in undulating rolls and rocky steps, back and downward to merge into pine and poplar forest, eventually sliding beneath the water's silky edge. The fire pit, noted as the social gathering area, has been relegated to a relatively flat portion of tended grass at the north end of the house - a cool, breezy spot, shaded by a large willow and protected by lilac bushes and towering fir trees. It affords a different perspective across the lake. The irises that flourish beneath the shadow of the trees at the edge of the property are left in peace by the deer - I like to think it is the result of an innate reverence for their beauty.
My garden. A labour of love, wherefore the rewards I reap are tenfold.

13 comments:

  1. You have the ideal garden and it sounds to be flourishing really well without too much management from your good self , something that I greatly admire :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do believe love has as much to do with it as anything, Heron!
    However, my garden is late this season, as we have had rather inclement weather all spring - but better late than never!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice description Dale...would be lovely to see it as I sure it is beautiful. I miss wildlands as the Southern UK is ancient and cultivated and I am used to North American mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  4. String, I have always wanted to visit the ancient, cultivated lands of the UK! Having grown up with the legends of King Arthur at hand, the mysterious world of the swirling mists hold a certain draw. Maybe someday...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely writing. Dale. Told with real feeling and absorption for the love of the natural world and for the pleasure of watching things grow. Lovely writing indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS. Wonderful to see you back in blogland!!!! I have missed View of 1000 peaks immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have missed my 1000 Peaks, too, Val. And thank you! It's good to be home. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the only prose which allowed me to love following grass. my gosh that passage in particular is/was fabulous. this whole ode to a garden, wonderful writing.

    thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "really" ?

    smokey, cloudy, whew, blowing the clouds around my blog, oh, can't C U

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such an evocative piece of writing. I see we are on the same wave-length these days. I am happy to see you back here. Like a garden, I have a feeling this is going to be a sanctuary from the cyber stacks.

    I lived in a condo for 15 years, and there was much to enjoy- the pool, the tennis courts, and I did manage a wonderful garden balcony. That said, in this new phase, with the fescue lawn tickling my feet, I feel so much more in touch with the seasons, and with the earth. It suits me fine where I am now, as the cement stack suited me then. We do change, and are lucky that we can move with those changes.

    Welcome back!

    xx
    AM

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gina, I thank you, too! I enjoy your prose, as well.

    And Grace, are you having trouble accessing my blog, as I am yours? That is odd, but, after all this time, it's great to see you here!

    This post was partially inspired by yours, Anne-Marie. It touched me and I realised that, yes, we appear to both be happy walking our garden paths!
    I, too, know the condo life and it suited me at the time. But I know the difference and I am happy to be where I am now. :) I remember your condo garden!

    Thank you all for visiting after a long absence - I am honoured to share your friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  12. don't take this down again, either!

    You would have LOVED the poetry kind of shop thing I attended tonight (assignments up the patooty with a wedding between that will eat two days!). How do we do it?

    How do you find your inspiration? When do you write? Please do not just say "on the fly". There's not enough room. ;-0

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Gina, thank you! Your words have moved me. I would have loved to attend your poetry kind of shop thingy! :)

    I am actually seriously thinking of taking up with the local poets (if I can find them) and complimenting that with a dash of oil paint - I would like to find a good mentor.

    As for inspiration, it is everywhere - out my window, on the road, in the shower, while at the stove ...
    It's finding the time that is the callenge.
    Early morning musings whilst drinking my coffee - accompanied by the eagles and ospreys - are very inspirational, too!

    Thank you, GinaBea xx

    ReplyDelete