Thursday, October 25, 2018

Mona Lisa Smile

Amid the diesel and through the dust,
Between the metal and the rust,
I have yet to discern why,
A certain glimmer caught my eye.

Perhaps it was within a glance,
Or the clash of fate and that of chance,
To cause this sparking of the minds,
That often seeks a bond that binds.

Rumbling gears they shook the ground,
The assault of steel an enormous sound.
Yet there remained a glint of quiet,
Hidden behind the mud and the riot.

Surrounded by such clamour and mess,
There appeared very little to impress.
To unearth this glitter amidst the muck,
Could not be purely borne by luck.

As sunbeams slanted across the mire,
The moments pledged to never tire.
So through it all the twinkle remained,
And the glimpses shy were never feigned.

Alas the season passed unknown,
And the sunlit days we had since flown.
I was struck by a gleam amid the grime,
Yet know full well I have done my time.

From here I choose to always see,
This deep reflection of not just me.
His glowing countenance held no guile,
None... but a Mona Lisa smile.

4 comments:

  1. Ah Dale, the smile of an inner gleam. I love this poem! I especially love the opening stanza. That really speaks to me! I see you've written another that I didn't see before, so I'll read it now. I need to put your blog back on my list if you are going to be writing regularly again, my friend. I so love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From your writings, I can understand how that stanza would surely speak to you; in several ways. I do plan on continuing on my blog now that my time appears to have opened up, so please feel free to add me to your list. It's stunning how creativity can be highly-charging. Thank you, Val! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how wonderful!! Dale...I absolutely adore this poem...it really spoke to me!
    I especially like the ending. It really touches the soul!😊😊

    Big hugs xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Ygraine!
    Discovering beauty in the quagmire.

    ReplyDelete