Friday, October 13, 2006

FRONT ROW - CENTRE STAGE...



Well... second row centre stage, to be honest...



The Who were magnificent!




We rose early in the morning on Thursday 5th October 2006.

It was a beautiful clear day in the Rockies and there was a feeling of anticipation in the air.
The two little ones had their breakfasts and we saw them off to school.
I had made arrangements for a friend to pick them up after school and take them to where they were staying overnight.
Bobby and Jenny were looking forward to staying at Adriana's for the evening, as she was their babysitter for many years and the closest thing to a Grandma where we live.
But don't tell Adriana I said that...

Beth had the day off school and George and I both went into work until noon.
Once I was done work and had been seen off by my colleagues - they all know of my crazy passion for The Who - I sped home to finish packing and prepare to leave.
It's a three hour drive to the city through some of the most beautiful country in the world.

...tall granite snow-capped peaks with shoulders draped in evergreen velvet.
...verdant valleys with ribbons of vermillion foaming softly amid their folds.
...vast cobalt skies.

I consider myself ever so fortunate to have the opportunity to describe my backyard in those words!

We arrived in Calgary in time to face the rush hour traffic, but face it we did, as the flow was traveling in the opposite direction.
We arrived at our friends' house in time to put my make-up on (Gypsy) and have a sweet glass of wine (Anne-Marie).
I even bought myself a new sequined pair of jeans - seat intact - and a black rib knit sweater to wear to the show... just for Pete, of course.

Due to a series of unfortunate events, I had been unable to purchase tickets in the beginning, but we were very lucky indeed.
We have some friends with strong connections to Pengrowth Saddledome and it was no time at all before I was informed that we could pick up some tickets with our name on them at the main wicket.
I was nervous because I had no idea where our seats would be...
Imagine our surprise when we saw that our tickets had FLOOR - ROW 2 - SEATS 21/22 printed upon them. I was completely floored...

My hands were shaking and, even though my short little legs usually have a difficult time keeping up with George's longer appendages, I leaped ahead of him, nearly getting myself run over by a truck!
My enthusiasm unthwarted, I bounded on.

We purchased a couple of handfuls of beer and made our way through the crowds and descended down and down and down the long steps to the FLOOR.
At the entrance to the FLOOR we obtained our make-us-feel-important wristbands and pushed on toward the stage.
As we neared ROW 2 there was another security point where we proudly showed our wrist bands and ticket with FLOOR printed upon them.
I was feeling rather cocky by then.

Seats 21 and 22 were right smack-dab in front of Zak's drum kit!

I could hardly contain myself, but managed to enjoy the opening act - a very good young three-piece band from Winnipeg, with strong AC/DC and Who influences.
The lead singer was so proud to be opening for his heroes!
...I felt his pride.

The next thing I knew, there was my favourite sound man, Bob Pridden, and his staff running about testing this and testing that, tuning this and tuning that.
I just about died when he picked up Pete's red Strat and let a blast at it!

Then there they were! We stood up and cheered, yelled, sang and whistled!

Pete was at stage left and Roger at stage right - of course.
...we were at stage centre, looking right up their trouser legs!

Pino was tall and stoic behind Roger, holding it together with his powerful bass - he has some big shoes to fill and fill them well, he did!

Zak was tight and not a bit unlike Moon - but of course!
Keith was his childhood hero and close friend to his father, Ringo Starr - I smile to see things go full circle like that...

Simon was, well, Simon!
His trademark cap and tight nylon jacket making him a familiar sight for me.
His rhythm helping to lift and carry The Who through the evening.

Rabbit was having fun on keyboards and I have always had a soft spot for him.
He laughed and played through the entire concert.

After being in such close touch through Rachel and In The Attic it was like being with old friends!
I felt I was with family.
I wonder if anyone else in the audience felt the same... I'm sure on some level.

It was amazing to be able to see The Boys right there - singing to and for us!

... and Pete still has the most amazing Pete's Eyes!



End of installment number one.

* I nicked the photos of Chicago from Pete's site, as I have no pics of Calgary yet.

23 comments:

  1. Wonderful post. I could just feel your excitement as I read your words. The Who is a band that all can watch. David Gelinas was in Edmonton and met up with son Paul who works in the oil patch. Paul had tickets and took David, who mentioned that it was the best concert he's ever seen (ok, heard - since he's legally blind).

    Had another appt. today and should get news Mon or Tues. In the meantime I'm going to keep smiling and spend the week-end at Cedar Oasis.

    Love Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Dale. I can feel the excitement in your words!

    Come to Toronto in December! I hear there are spare tickets floating around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for a wonderful account, it's been well worth waiting for. I am glad that truck didn't hit you, just before the concert - or after it, for that matter!
    This is the first time I feel a hint of regret for not having gone to see them when they were around here.
    Looking forward to your nest instalment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. well that was worth the wait..and i bet you looked fab in your seated sequin jeans...blow-by-blow account...visual infact..and good seating if you could see up their trouser legs...hmm..sounds marvelous..lookin forward to part two..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dale,
    WOW! What an amazing experience! It must be so overwhelming to look Pete in the eyes while talking to him!
    Glad to hear you were lucky to get those seats.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dale,

    Second row centre! No wonder you were speechless! OMG indeed.

    It's obvious that you had a wonderful time and thoroughly enjoyed yourself. So cool!

    I get the feeling there is much more to this story.... you did get to go backstage, no?

    Do tell!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lannio and Anne-Marie - you both said the same thing about the excitement in my words. Thanks and that is a huge compliment!
    I won't be able to come to TO in December, unfortunately, but EL is coming to visit us here for Christmas!

    Koos - I'm glad I survived to tell the story, too!

    Gypsy - I knew you'd notice the sequined jeans and my being able to see up their pant legs...

    Chick - it was more like yelling at him, but the eyes are the same!

    Rachel - I am working on the second installment and indeed we did have fun!

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that's a great description, Dale! I had been waiting for that post, knowing how excited you were about going to the concert....

    That's so amazing about the seats. What luck that was! You must have good connections indeed. :)

    Looking forward to part deux.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great news! I like your description quite well.

    --Dan L.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool review, look foward to seeing Installment 2.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Dale,
    I can feel with you. THE WHO is the best. More I can't say!!!!!
    Love and peace
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete
  12. nice to see your beautiful sig pic back!...part two??..taps foot!!..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great ID photo, Dale! You look SO much better than Angus....

    Waiting...joins Gypsy tapping foot :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohhhhh, Dale, how brilliant! Of course I'm dying to hear the rest, but for now, I am simply awestruck: the ability to simultaneously look up someone's trouser leg and into his eyes while reeling in stratospheric musical bliss is no mean feat.

    What a girl!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey ma,
    i wrote something on my blog.
    It is about you. Go check 'er out me love u xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, what a great thing to have happen. just turn up and get tix for the 2nd row. glad you had fun. oh and to drive through that bunch of scenery too, makes delbut a jealous boy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Dale!!! Just on the computer for a moment this mornign. I should really be in the shower getting ready for work. I miss you and had to check up on you. Great seats for the Who!!!!! I am so thrilled for you!!!!! I can totally relate to you leaping about and almost gettign hit by a truck. I get carried away sometimes too! Wow, a 3 hour ride, but worth it! So worth it! I am so happy for you. thanks for sharin gall that. Talk to you later. I'm a busy working girl.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing, Dale! You paint such a vivid picture!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dale!!! I'd love to see you in your sequinned jeans! The concert sounds just perfect. What a dream come true! I'll be watching out for part 2.

    Your description of the trip and the mishaps and the excitement are all so perfect, I could have been there with you. Great reading, my friend..xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ohhh, what a great account of your experience!.. and those seats! I'm so glad you go them.

    From the other end of the Rockies I really appreciated this...

    ...tall granite snow-capped peaks with shoulders draped in evergreen velvet.
    ...verdant valleys with ribbons of vermilion foaming softly amid their folds.
    ...vast cobalt skies.

    Beautifully said!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You captured the enthausiam so well, I had the great fortune of being 2nd row dead center in Boston and second Row to the side of Pete in NY. the excitement is almost raw and you nailed the feeling perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG!!!!
    Those pics, especially the one of Pete laughing , smiling, beautiful! If it's ok I'm going to try and show it to someone I know that would love it.
    I can't believe I never saw your blog before! This is a great blog! :)
    What a timing for me to discover it:
    I go to LA tonight to see...the Who!
    In fact, I should leave soon. San Diego to LA is a longer commute than one might think. :(

    ReplyDelete