Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Birth...

Wow!

I as I sit in my office, checking my blog, there is a mule deer doe across the road having her baby. I first noticed her as I was talking to Beth in her tent in the yard.
The deer caught my eye and I chuckled about the fact that she was having a pee in full view of us. She finished, then squatted a few more times. It was then, and after a closer look, that I realised she is in labour.
Good luck, Beautiful!

...it's quite amazing what we see going on in our neighbourhood...


It's been about three and a half hours and I can see her resting behind a tree, not ten feet from the edge of the road. Gene said she was standing up and looking much more relaxed, so her baby must be hidden in there somewhere, too. A couple of runners and quite a bit of traffic (holiday weekend) has gone by.
If I look closely, I can see her ear flicking back and forth between the grasses...

...she is only a stone's throw from my window...

5 comments:

  1. Happy Canada Day.

    Such an amazing sight in the wild. I came home from work today, and there were 4 mama pigs with about 10 little tiny baby piglets with them. I love nature.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace, I love nature, too.
    And being able to live so close with it!

    Baby piglets are the cutest and funniest - all short little legs and wringing tails!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will post the pics and short video of them in the next few days, I know you will enjoy :) And to think we get to view such things in our backyards. do you have pig close to you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The nearest pig to me is of the "guinea" type...Henrietta.

    I have some funny video of wild pigs at a game reserve in Quebec when we visited my folks last Christmas.

    I'll have to post it for you, too, Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How absolutely magical to see this from your window, Dale. One day I would love to trade places with you just for a short while. I would so love to see what you see our there in your mountain kingdom...

    ReplyDelete