Wednesday, January 06, 2010

A Good Morning to All


The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow...
I know, those words have been used before, but dawn today was beautiful and it put me in mind of the Christmas poem by Clement Clarke Moore - the words, dashing and dancing through my head, as I trudged through the snow with a pair of skis slung over my shoulder. Jenny is riding the mountain with her Grade Seven class this week and she needed help carrying her equipment to school - a miniature sleigh would have definitely come in handy.
The temperature dipped to minus twenty through the night - it was clear and the air had a particular zing to it. The sun was still well beneath the horizon and a bright half-moon hung high in the sky, giving a luster of daylight to the mountains below.
Tucker frolicked along with us in the waxing daybreak, running ahead and bounding back, only to dash away once more.
In the nearby woods, the deer watched with their soft, brown eyes - until they spied Tucker. Immediately, there arose a large clatter, and I could sense the prancing and pawing of each tiny hoof as the shy creatures took flight through the trees.
The cold air was refreshing and I was loathe to go indoors when I arrived home. So, I shoveled the rest of the snow from the drive before coming inside to stoke the fire and watch the woodsmoke rise up the chimney.

11 comments:

  1. Cool ... or should I say cold. Hope those deer can tolerate all the cold and snow out there. Tucker is lucky to be leash-less. Poor Whiskey hates the leash and likes to pull away any chance he can - but that's his real mommy's challenge now. (Lucky she still has one good shoulder). I've been complaining at -10 temps overnight but at least I have a warm basement room now (pics on display elsewhere)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely evocative description Dale. It sounds cold but invigorating too. I'm glad you can manage to keep warm inside though!

    I liked your last post too by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. -20!!!!! whoa.

    beautiful winter post, is that photo yours? lovely.
    stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And yes Grace, it was really cold, and I took the picture up at the spring where we get our water.
    Before we went skiing... lol

    To be honest, there was an inversion, where it's warmer at higher elevations.

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, poetic and wistful...can smell the smoke from your chimney and am now thinking I should shovel our drive...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dal,

    here it's cold, too. I love it, if we have blue sky and cold weather and I can go out and walk.

    Now it's weekend and I hope we get some more snow.

    Have a great weekend.
    Love
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Apparently, a friend's son could not fly out to London last night because of the weather there. Funny winter so far... I find Toronto has been really okay so far, snow that started after New Year's but really not much accumulation. The eastern seaboard was cooler than usual during the holidays, according to all of those I spoke to who went away from NC to FLA, although apparently barbados would have been a good choice at 89F.

    Lesley, Whiskey hardly gets walked on a leash anymore since we usually play in the yard and let him do his business there, but it was never his forte...

    Dale, you evoke some really pretty images here, like an idyllic winter scene out of a movie.

    Stay warm!

    xx
    AM

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with everyone else you did create beautiful evocative imagery :) Postcard perfect :) In Canberra today it is 35°C - tomorrow and Monday 38°C - so quite warm ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dale - hello! It's been too long. All my fault - it's been a complicated few months.

    Snow ... how much more beautiful it looks than do all my withering plants under a 40degree sun! The earth is a magical and perplexing place.

    I LOVE your last post too - "Earthernware". Beautiful, wise and succinct.

    Missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My! I'm a cold weather wimp. Abhor it. However, your lovely prose made even it sound inviting!

    xo

    ReplyDelete