Saturday, February 27, 2010

lac des trois freres - circa 1957


It is here I learned:

That a bee will sting if provoked.
That a garter snake sunning itself on rock is harmless.
That if I hide beneath the warm, green beach towel I can enjoy the soothing rock of the rowboat with Dad's every pull of the oars.
That a dragonfly and a blue bottle are of different species.
That mountain climbing does not involve crawling on hands and knees on top of the trees while silhouetted against the sky.
That one can have a picnic no matter what the weather.
That on a hot day the heat will permeate the carpet of pine needles that cushions my feet and will rise again to greet me with a warm, sweet aroma unmatched by any other.
That newly-mown dry grass is pokey on little bare feet.
That the buzz of cicadas heralds a sultry day and no matter how far and wide I search, I will never find that chainsaw bug.
That at nap time I can study the worn blinds darkening my window and imagine its pinprick holes are bright stars in a night sky.
That the inside of a canvas army surplus tent is hot in the sun.
That ice blocks won't melt when packed in sawdust during the wagon's delivery to replenish the ice-box.
That draught horses are big - and have poops to match.
That when helping Mum with the laundry I must never stick my hand in the ringer washer.
That Mad magazines are for reading in the hootnanny - but not for too long, as the smell will take over.
That the cuckoo bird in the clock behind the heavy log front door does not want to eat me.
That lightning comes in all shapes and sizes.
That a baby brother, who is still only at the crawling stage, is a good companion when exploring the outdoors.
That valuable flashlight batteries have a habit of rolling out of reach beneath the couch.
That fire can keep us warm as well as fed.
That even when I sleep in my parent's soft, downy bed I can still have unspeakable nightmares.
That I will never learn the secret of Stripe toothpaste.
That Pocahontas is always watching over me.
That a beautiful garden can be an overgrown riot of colour spilling out of control down the hillside.
That I can actually catch a fish with a stout stick, a piece of string and a bent pin.
That I have to be careful when stepping from the dock into the canoe.
That bushes can grow in the water.
That upon waking in the top bunk to not to sit up too quickly.
That my favourite portion of bacon is the rind.
That a potty in the bedroom at night is very handy and helps to avoid midnight treks down the dark path to the hootnanny.
That birds of all sorts will appear once the feeder has been refilled.
That my favourite flower is the tiger lily and geraniums smell funny.
That good neighbours come with a candy bowl.
That the comfiest chairs are the ones with the most pillows.
That woodpeckers can be quite annoying, especially when hammering for breakfast on the tin stovepipe.
That the cellar behind the old double doors is a fascinating and different world with its pleasant earthen aura.
That humming birds can fly backwards and up and down.
That on a misty morning when I skip a flat stone across the smooth surface of the lake the ripples will radiate forever.

Memories are what make up a lifetime...

9 comments:

  1. Can you explain why this is an important place? It looks like heaven.

    xx
    AM

    P.S. I would happily give you my snow, but alas! It's already melting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love it. the look, the scenery....what is the memory?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too, that is one beautiful house and location!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG - what a shock to see this picture - a place as part of our history. Even tho I was young - I still remember it clearly. I also remember playing with those snakes that used to bake on the stones and bring them inside to continue to play with them on people's beds! I also remember the muddy lake and the walk down to it. OK, what prompted you to post a picture of our first cottage (pre 1965)?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This place holds one of my very first memories.
    A picnic outside in the snow with Mum and Dad at age two.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice post - one I can relate to in many spots.

    Apart from the snakes and the lake, I also remember collecting Christmas Trees in the winter with Uncle Gordon, Aunt Monica and the cousins all wearing thick and colourful zip-up sweaters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post Dale. That was beautifully written. I was picturing myself there, the way your wrote it just took me there.

    Like your new profile pic. You ride horses too? B)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful post Dale - I loved the detailed imagery - wonderfully penned - so much so in fact I was there with you in spirit of memory :)

    ReplyDelete