Monday, November 15, 2010

The Eleventh Hour

We went to visit my horse on Saturday.
I had previously informed the owners of the farm that we were going to see him for one last time and, after that, the rest was in their hands.

I admit, I hadn't visited Red for some time, but he really did look quite well. He had a twinkle in his eye, his winter coat is growing in thick and full, and he had no trouble enjoying the treats we bestowed upon him - the kids and I had assembled a cornucopia of apples, carrots and guinea pig food... After he'd been fed, coddled, crooned-over and scratched in all the right places, we bid our farewells and watched him trot down the hill to the watering hole. His stride was sure, albeit slightly uneven, but it was sure, nonetheless.

During his last supper, as the kids were wont to call it, and during the photo session, I kept looking for something wrong with Red. He does have a new small lump on his neck, but he's got lumps everywhere - nothing out of the ordinary for a horse - and the ends of the hair on his sides are slightly sun-bleached. He wasn't as able to dig into the apple with his past, youthful gusto, but he was still able to bite it in half with a couple of solid crunches. In retrospect, I should have brought his favourite - a can of Kokanee beer.

When we drove away, I bit back tears as I watched him fade into the distance in my rear view mirror. Could this really be the last time I see him?
I resigned myself to it.
But, something was niggling - not sitting quite right. I just know, that I know... that I know...

Later in the evening, when Gene and I were sitting in the hot tub under the half-moon, I asked him how he thought Red looked. Not being a horseman, but an attentive observer, Gene said that he thought Red looked quite well, given the horse's age. I agreed and it was then that I decided to make one, last phone call. Actually, two.

I had to tell the farm-owner to not go ahead until further notice. I also called my long-time friend, Sam, who's farm had originally been the place where I would take Red to spend his retirement days.
Unfortunately, Sam was recently involved in a car accident and, suffering from the after-effects, had been unable to take on the responsibility. I also know she is very connected with the local horsey community and I thought that one last plea might avail and she could pull something out of her hat. Red might not be so near to death's door if he had a place to stay that could offer some good old fashioned TLC.
As it turns out, after some plan B's, plan C's and plan D's, Sam can keep Red at her place, after all!

Red will continue on to be nursemaid for Sam's two weanling fillies. He will live out his golden years in comfort while resting in the quiet pasture outside Sam's front window. He might not be looking out over the lake, but the vista across the valley is equally as magnificent.
My old soldier will no longer have to compete with the rest of the herd for food, nor battle the cold winter winds that howl and swoop down from the icy peaks. Furthermore, he will have a pair of admiring young maids to keep him company.
As Sam puts it, he will be King of the hill and I'm good with that. Red will be, too!

We didn't ask for more, but we got it.

12 comments:

  1. Grateful. It's the word that comes to my mind, as I suspect you must feel grateful and everyone including and especially Red. How lovely Sam is, and wonderful/grateful I feel to read he is okay, he eats well, he walks okay, he will respond to fillies and he will live in the best place.

    You are a loving horse mama, Dale. xo

    -gina and bea bea

    ReplyDelete
  2. GinaBea

    Thank you amid the tears
    they are good

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful thing to hear. I'm happy that it did not end with the farewell!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sam is a life-saver.

    I also might be buying one of her young fillies.

    The Universed does, indeed, work in mysterious ways.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah Dale, I have tears in my eyes reading this. I am so happy for you and happy for Red too. What an absolutely wonderful reprieve. That's the best news I've read in ages. Long live Red!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Val - it's been a bit of a rollercoaster ride!

    We are hauling him to Sam's tomorrow after work.
    In the snow and in the dark.


    lol
    verification word: rains...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dale, this made me cry with joy. The world does work in mysterious ways.

    How fortunate that Sam is there for you and that Red will have a lovely last home. I trust that he will see you again many more times.

    What a heart-warming story.

    xx
    AM

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such good news, I am so glad to hear it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We trailered Red to his new home last night.
    In the dark, wind and snow of a blizzard that has many of the roads closed today.
    Red is happy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And I'm so happy for you too, Dale. That's so very heart warming. I'm so glad you survived the snow and ice too. Well done you marvellous people!

    ReplyDelete
  11. :sigh:
    terrific. Red you are redeemed.
    You beautiful soul.

    xx

    ReplyDelete