Wednesday, September 06, 2006

FOR STEVE


I might be slightly off my usual topic here, but I feel very sad about another friend passing at, what appears to be, before his time.
As a lover of animals and wildlife, I would like to celebrate one of the world's most charismatic characters, Steve Irwin - aka The Crocodile Hunter.

Steve's life was entirely dedicated to the preservation of wildlife and to the education of the world on that subject. His methods were rather unconventional and, at times controversial, but he was able to get his point across through his youthful exuberance and genuine passion for his work.

Last weekend Steve died as a result of an injury sustained while swimming in the ocean with several sting rays. Apparently he was stabbed in the chest by a ray's tail barb that pierced his heart.
If nothing else, Steve died doing what he loved...

My son, Bobby, has followed The Crocodile Hunter's antics and teachings since he was one year old. He was deeply saddened by the news, but he will be sure to carry on Steve's enthusiastic interest in his own way.

Our prayers, thoughts and blessings go out to Steve's wife, Terry, and two young children, Bindy and Bob and to all his family and friends.


It seems there are too many special ones leaving us too early...

11 comments:

  1. This guy was absolutely mad as a Canadian hill walker.

    There are already jokes doing the rounds about him. i am of course, toooooo nice to say them here.

    if you come to mine on the other hand.... Na, too early. Maybe tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right Delbut - mad as a Welsh rabbit...

    But he taught my son a particular love and respect for nature and wildlife.
    For that we will be eternally thankful.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are so many blogs and comments in honour of this crazed but brilliant eco entertainer. I don't know him myself, but it seems he was very well loved, if completely nuts, but I also think he was very brave too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was initially impressed with him, but changed my view after he pulled that "Michael Jackson stint" of baiting a crocodile with his baby son. However, he died doing something he loved and did teach many about the wonderful world of animals. He tempted fate many times with his wild and whacky stunts, guess his time just ran out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh you had the same idea as chantal..she loved him..yes ive had several e-mails regarding the jokes..i laughed and felt guilty...dale are you doing a keef tribute tomorn..28 years since his death 7th sept??..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well but of course - I was just talking of the dear boy's passing the other day...

    ReplyDelete
  7. i knew i could rely on you...oh my sister and droog..ming...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't say that I ever watched or knew much about him, but I agree that he died far too young, leaving small children- so sad.

    I was impressed that his father refused the honour of a state funeral today, saying his son was "an ordinary bloke" who wouldn't have wanted it. You can see where he got his strength of character.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Dale,
    I too am sad that he died.

    Even though the stunt he pulled with his baby was controversial, I'd rather be that baby than the one Michael Jackson was holding.

    He will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dale:

    What a guy he was. Very, very energetic, very entertaining.

    Wow.

    --Dan L.

    ReplyDelete