Sunday, September 03, 2006

Sunday Morning Alpenglow

It is early in the brand new day.
I rose with Beth so I could drive her to work for her morning shift.

The sun was beginning to light the eastern sky over the Rockies range and shafts of light were piercing the air as though from some giant's flashlight shone skyward between the peaks.
The Purcell range to the west was glowing a soft pink that gradually grew in intensity, turning to orange then blue and finally bringing to relief the green velvet carpet of trees interrupted only by the folds of the draws and the rocky outcrops.
I drove along the highway with a genuine, if not goofy, smile upon my countenance - it was a lovely beginning to what promises to be a wonderful day in the mountains.

On my way home I stopped in at my friends' home to check on their two budgie birds and four goldfish - their owners having given me the key to look after their house and livestock while on a three-week visit to Italy.
The wee feathered fellows chirped, and chattered at me while I cleaned their cages and refilled their water and food bowls.
The fish in the pond said nothing...

The house is quiet now with only the clatter of the keyboard to keep me company.
George will be awakening soon to take the boys out onto the lake in hopes of catching a rising trout for breakfast.
Our friends from the city are tucked away in dreamland with their son in the cosy camper the garden - we have discovered that our parked camper trailer makes an excellent guest house!

I retired early last night in order to greet the dawn this morning.
Friday evening was very late, as we had two sets of friends from out of town show up at the same time.
The usual mayhem followed, along with the required consumption of wine that must accompany the fifty-first birthday of one of our guests.
But playing until two o'clock in the morning makes for a long day, since I had risen at five o'clock the previous morning and worked all day.

I was tired and feeling rather testy yesterday and, finding my house covered in root beer after emerging from my shower, did nothing to improve my mood.
Apparently the children had had a wee bit of an accident.
I did take advantage of some time to pout while the rest of the crowd went to the beach.
...as I cleaned up the table, the floor, the door, the walls...

Today appears to hold great promise and I look forward to relaxing in the sunny garden and reading a good book - after hiding the root beer.

12 comments:

  1. Dale, you make me go all wistful...how magical your environs seem to be. I got a goofy smile just reading your description. It sounds as if it's a good thing you'll be relaxing later in the day, as two five o'clock starts with a late night in between, not to mention an uncalled for close encounter with root beer...are a very good reason for taking it easy and enjoying your spectacular mountain setting!

    I've spent the afternoon cleaning the apartment I bought with the proceeds from my Belgian barge. It's not bad at all, but there's painting to do, and I want it clean before I start. Not sure whether I'll live in it yet. If I decide I like it, I'll move my little barge to a lovely, peaceful spot in a canal surrounded by softly rolling hills in the south of Belgium....so I can have my weekend escapes from the noise of the city again. After all, Koos still has his barge here, so I can always part time with him..;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well after all that you deserve a peaceful day my dear..you set a lovely scene dale very idyllic...my day was spent thats it it was spent!..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh, alpenglow...one of my all time favorite mountain terms. It says so much, and when you know what it is, well, it's such a feeling in itself.

    By the way, there is an ale called Alpenglow. It is rather potent, but I sure like that stuff also.

    --Dan L.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dale,
    What a lovely post- I can sense the peacefulness from here.

    I made it home safely, sick with worry about Neil, but needing to go throw some desks together.

    I'll check in later, my dear. Hope all is well.

    -AM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Val contratulations on the new apartment, but I can't imagine you staying high and dry for long!

    It was a peaceful day Gypsy... until I heard about Neil last evening. I left him a couple of messages that I hope he reads when he's feeling better. If you get in touch with him, please send him my love.

    You're right Dan, alpenglow is indeed a pretty word for a very pretty sight! I'd never heard of the beer, though!

    It is peaceful AM, especially first thing in the morning. It is a long weekend and can get pretty nuts here in the evening, especially after dark when everybody and their dog let off fireworks...

    Thanks Koos, fan of the attic! I tried the blog, but there's no actual link to the blog itself to make comments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dale,

    You make me long for my December trip, even tho after reading Anne Marie's blog I'm sure I'll have to endure the flight. Seeing castle mountain reminds me of a certain first western trip in 1971 or 1972. Glad you're enjoying it all.

    Love Lannio

    ReplyDelete
  7. God it sounds so lovely up there, a million miles away from my flat on the busy road into Trashington! The way you describe it reminds me of Norway where my dad used to live, a truly magical place! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Dale!
    Val mentioned Angus and if I knew where Aalten is? Yes, I say, part of our country that officially bears the name Achterhoek, meaning Remote Area. No joke!
    Married to an Achterhoek girl? Must have a name ending in 'ink', like Bennie Jolink, frontman of rock group 'Normaal', famous for their excellent rock, sung in the local dialect!

    See what Google mentions: Ellen, former girl friend of..... Bennie Jolink!!!!!!!!

    So I thought you might like to read an article about a national tv station looking for Angus's 'roots' in the Netherlands. Here is an 'English' version of the article (blame bablefish.com, not me).

    Here an essential fragment of the article.
    "Then it is time for Hedon-film ' in search of Angus Young '. The announcer, Vincent Pots, is tevens (also) the head (main) role player (character) in the film. He steps (gets) in its (his) car for Hedon and tells us that he goes in search to Angus Young which in at, in must live the achterhoek (who is supposed to live in Aalten, in the Achterhoek). Arrived in at (Aalten) stops the documentairemaker at a filling station and asks the pump assistant if he knows Angus. The man tells that Angus regularly at him a slof (carton of) cigarettes comes buy and that he especially for Angus is mark, Benson & Hedges applied, in the assortment has incorporated (keeps them in store especially for him). Then the documentairemaker drive to an enormous house, almost a building, which stands still half in the wharf (scaffolding). This is the new house of Angus Young in building."

    ReplyDelete
  10. First of all ROFL at Babelfish, Koos!!!

    I get so much fun out of the translations it kicks out. When I use it I've got to be careful not to use slang because it translates so literally - eg a fan, as in I am a "fan" of Pete and Rachel... becomes "ventilator" in Dutch! I'd be keeping them cool in the summer...

    I, too, am looking forward to your Christmas visit, Lannio!

    Yes, Bootsie, it's lovely here and I consider myself quite fortunate to live here!
    ...although I do sometimes feel I'm a million miles everything.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i havent recieved your application yet for the ming fellows???

    ReplyDelete