Saturday, January 13, 2007

I'm An Eight... or Painted Toenails Won't Keep My Feet Warm.



An eight on a scale of one to eight, no less!

Yes! I began my annual YaYa Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants girlie thing on skis last Thursday.
Every year the ski school presents Chicks on Sticks, a five-week session of fun and learning on skis.
I get to giggle and ski as we tackle the steep and the deep for the next month.

The weather was bitterly cold, hovering about minus twenty celcius, although the skies were brilliantly clear and sunny.
My feet were like two numb blocks of ice after my warm-up run from the top before meeting the girls.
Much to my dismay I discovered that, although my skiing was improved, my freshly-painted toenails did nothing to keep my delicate feet from becoming frostbitten!
I was in agony as I reached the middle half of the mountain and looked down at the next few kilometres I had left to ski...

I managed to limp down the mountainside and met with the instructors and participants outside the base lodge.
Having quite a few year's experience skiing, I was put into the top group Number 8 with other like-minded skiers.

I had difficulty keeping the waxed side down in the fresh pow on Champagne Surf which resulted in a perfect 10 gymnastics routine as I cartwheeled my way down.
Julie immediately followed suit...
Sarah had difficulty making round turns and skiing slowly, so soon lost us...
Christine's dreadlocks kept getting in the way and Joy simply could not keep her pants up...

Oddly enough, after meeting with the girls, I warmed up!


12 comments:

  1. Ya Hoo, we finally got a sprinkling of snow and maybe 1% of it still stays on the ground! My salomon skis are ready for pick up so hopefully I'll be healthy enough to pick them up soon. Snow has been falling north of the city and I've got an itch to hit those tiny escarpments (that they refer to as ski-hills in Ontario). Re-sent the email - hope you got it this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got it!
    Thanks, Lesley!

    It's sprinkling here, too, but over top of a good deep base.

    ...and minus 20 degrees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lofty mountain tops are the best. Gotta love 'em. Great photo of the ski trails.

    --Dan L.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dan, I know how you love the peaks, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun fun fun....except for those frozen pinkies...I bet they hurt even more when they thawed out a bit.....brrrr. You are soooooo courageous Dale! I would have been bawling like an infant...lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. chicks on sticks..ha ha! classic..
    maybe red toenail varnish will be warmer..
    or blue for to cover up when the gout sets in...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd be right with you- waiting at the lodge with drinks in hand.

    I got cold just reading about your toesies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too fun! Great photos, Dale! I'm with Anne-Marie - at the lodge (in the hottub) with drinks in hand! But heck, we all know you're a ten!

    We're finally getting snow here this weekend. Not much but it looks like it'll stick around for a while this time.

    And I got a job! It's a temp job, but it's a good meaty one - plus it will end about a week before Randy and I are off to the Caribbean in March!!! We got the cruise!

    Life is good! now if I can get my blogger to work right. Having some probs with photos, but not sure if it's my iPhoto or 'beta' or what...

    Take care of those piggies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Val, surprisingly enough me wee pinkies thawed somewhat in my boots...the trick is to loosen the buckles and jump about - sometimes a tricky thing with 155 cm skis attached to the bottom of my feet... shhh i WAS almost in tears

    Gypsy, I'll get out my reds!
    ...blues and greens make me look ghastly - or is that ghostly...

    Anne-Marie, HOT drinks if you please!

    Rachel - I've missed you!
    Thanks for the compliment, but I'll settle for an 8, too...
    Congratulations on the new job!
    What will you be doing?
    Things can't be too bad if you're heading for warmer waters!
    ...im watching mutiny on the bounty as i write this.
    I hope you get your blogger trouble straightened out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hot pink!!..or thremal pink...
    did you remember your thermal knickers?...

    ReplyDelete