Friday, March 09, 2007

Meatloaf for Dinner



Last night we went to the Meatloaf Concert in Calgary. It was a great show and that man can sing!

It all started approximately thirty years ago when I was living on the prairies of Saskatchewan. The album Bat Out Of Hell was at the top of the charts and my best friend, Colleen, and I settled into the thick of it. Many of our party nights consisted of belting out the words and gyrating to Paradise by the Dashboard Light and swaying to the bittersweet melodies of Two Out of Three Ain't Bad.

Six weeks ago I received a phone call from Colleen and she told me she had tickets to the upcoming Meatloaf concert in Calgary. Needless to say, I jumped on the bandwagon - and dragged George along with me. In reality, I was more excited about a reunion with Colleen than I was about attending the concert...

On Thursday I rose early and moved through my regular routine with a touch more alacrity than usual. I had to plan ahead for the trip to Calgary and the possibility of not making it home by Friday morning to send the kids off to school. Our older daughter, Beth, was looking after her younger siblings, as well as the running of the household, while we were gone.

I had to work, but only for a couple of hours, so that gave me time to get things ready for the three-hour trip through the mountains. I packed a light lunch consisting of a baguette, some bruschetta - from a jar, garlic sausage, cheese, fruit and baby carrots. Finger food is great while on the road. The bottle of wine I packed is now sitting in my fridge - unconsumed.

George and I hit the road shortly after one o'clock in the afternoon. The highway through Kootenay National Park (KNP) had been closed overnight because of black ice and poor driving conditions, but was re-opened by the time we left. Unfortunately, the Trans Canada Highway between Lake Louise and Golden was closed indefinitely due to a dangerous mud slide and all traffic had been rerouted through KNP. The entrance to the highway into the park is through a narrow canyon and the number of semi trailer trucks that were traveling that road was astounding. We had to wait in a scary spot while the huge trucks attempted to negotiate a tight turn, from both directions, between the high rock walls - they were literally getting stuck!! It was nuts, but we made it.

We arrived in Calgary and met Colleen and her partner, Greg, at their hotel. The drive from Saskatchewan is longer than it is from our valley and Colleen's kids are grown, so they spent the night there. We had to be home in order to get our own children off to school and George off to work.

After a beer in the pub and a light dinner, we drove to the concert venue. I was reliving the last concert we saw there, and it was no comparison... The Who vs Meatloaf/second row centre vs semi nose-bleed seats high above the stage?

The show itself was great. Meatloaf has such an amazing voice and he puts his heart and soul into his performance. His band is very good and the two girls who were singing backup were fabulous. The lighting was well done and the audience had fun singing to all his old favourites, as well as to some new material. There is some good music and I would like to get his new album.

I did catch myself yawning through the performance, but only due to the fact it was my own bedtime. The show ended about eleven o'clock and we still had a long drive ahead of us. After dropping Colleen and Greg off at the hotel and joining them for a drink, which consisted of a glass of water, we were on the road again. George drove and he made it as far as Lac des Arcs near Exshaw in the mountains. I could hardly hold my own eyes open, so we had a forty-five minute nap at a roadside pullout. The stars were bright and the wind whistled and rocked about the van as we caught a few winks.

After resting, we continued on with George driving and I still dozing until Castle Junction where George had to stop. I took over the driving and we wended our way back through KNP. I had to stay on my toes, because the main highway was still closed and the park road was overly busy with trucking traffic. We made it to our valley where I had to stop because I simply could not keep my eyes open. George drove the final ten kilometres and we arrived home just after four o'clock in the morning. We literally dropped into bed - entirely exhausted!

The kids woke me up at seven thirty this morning and I saw them out the door - after they had readied themselves on their own. I was quite impressed! I guess there is a good thing about regular routine. Once everyone was gone, I fell back into bed and slept for another four hours.

George is still at work and I expect we'll have an early night this evening!

16 comments:

  1. Hi Dale, that's an impressive journey you had to make to see Meatloaf.
    I suppose it's not just the concert but also the journey, meeting friends and being away from it all.
    We are in a similar position. The Who are coming to Rotterdam in the Ahoy hall on the 5th of June 2007. That is almost 5 stops per underground railway, one change, and well over a 15 minutes' journey, not to mention at least a 500 meter walk from Zuidplein station. So you'll understand planning ahead takes up a lot of our time now, as well as the quibbling about who has to keep the other one awake...

    PS Yes I always come back to the one (or more) I love

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like you had a blast!..seeing old friends and a concert....lovely discription of the jouney...i wish i'd known you were going as i would have asked you to ask meat what it was he would'nt do..

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS
    Oh, forgot to say there will be those who wonder who that man is, windmilling on his guitar in front of Val and Koos

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh Dale, that was quite an adventure before you even got to the concert, and the return trip must have seemed like doing a marathon...so glad you made it in one piece!

    Koos's comment just shows you how far we have to go...shocking isn't it ;-)

    last year, though, I went to see Coldplay in Oberhausen, Germany with Jodie. That was quite an adventure too, as the return journey took Jodie and I seven hours, and four train changes, and the night trains in Germany are really scary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, Koos and Gypsy...indeed, what a pleasant surprise!

    A double WELCOME WELCOME BACK BACK!

    LOL Koos!
    What a long jouney you have ahead of you...with a travel itinerary like that I expect to hear more about the concert and less about how you got there!

    Gypsy - he won't do THAT...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Koos, I'm assuming that you and Val have relatively good seats at the concert?

    WooooWhoooo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Val!
    You snuck in while I was responding...

    The same goes for you on your Who Concert post - of which I am also assuming you will write...

    Is it the trains in Germany that are scary or the passengers on the trains?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds fantastic and somewhat "marathon-like". After just driving that route a couple of weeks ago I could really get a good picture of how your travels went thru the mountains. Glad you had a good time - and lucky you didn't have to work that next morning .... poor George.

    Now can't you just hear me singing from Central Canada "Will you love me, will you love me forever, do you need me, will you never leave me, will you make me so happy for the rest of my life, will you take me away, will you make me your wife .... " Oh btw, I may be doing Karoke tomorrow nite. If they have that song, I'll sing it in your honour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Dale,
    Quite a journey! Did you read about mine to San Diego to see The Who? I'm so glad that I got a hotel to stay in for the night, there was no way I could drive back home! It took about five hours to get there, and about five hours to get back!

    You could've stayed overnight at a hotel, but you did have George to do half the driving. I drove to the Who concert all by myself! but at least I had Nobonidus to walk with me to the venue, especially since the hotel was in a bad area! It was next to a few strip clubs!

    Glad you, George, and Colleen had fun! I've met Colleen and she is very cool!

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes yes i know but what?? won't he do??...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Answers on a post card to..
    GYPSY TOWERS..
    DERELICTÉ MANSION
    NEXT TO THE BOMBED OUT CHINESE
    TRASHINGTON
    SOMEWHERE...
    NE666...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lesley, yes I can hear you singing!
    Have fun at the karaoke.

    Hi Chick - I did read your post, but I didn't have time to comment. I'll head back over there right now and leave a message.

    Gypsy - message sent forthwith.

    ReplyDelete
  13. BTW Everyone...it was the exact same drive we did when we went to see The Who.

    The difference is that time we stayed overnight in Calgary with friends. The younger kids stayed at home with a friend in town and we brought Beth with us.

    It was definitely a marathon run this go-round!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay, now I understand the lyrical post on Gypsy's blog!

    I've driven through KNP in the winter, too; but that mudslide surely complicated things with the redirected truckers. What a mess! Glad you guys had a great time and that you were able to negotiate the drive and get home safely. And good for you for stopping to catch a nap here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Dale,

    oh, I love Meatloaf. What a concert it must have been. I think my original Bat Out of Hell album is just not playable anymore. !

    ReplyDelete