Tuesday, March 20, 2007

this business of retirement...

Two weeks ago I received the unexpected - although not entirely surprising - news that the long-time family-owned Ford dealership where I have worked for the past thirteen years will be closing down.
My position is in Administration where I do the accounting, as well as working closely with the service department and processing warranty claims.
It is a tiny dealership in a small community, therefore it has been difficult over the past several years dealing with a large corporation where the stress is on volume of sales and the resulting bottom line.

Presently the business is owned and operated by three siblings, each of whom I consider good friends as well as employers.
Their parents opened the business some forty-odd years ago and the trio took over the dealership during the nineteen eighties.
This family business has contributed to the economy of the valley in a great and unique way - we will All miss them!

As I wish my three friends good luck in wherever their new endeavours take them, I too, have to look at a change in my own career.
Living in a small town does have its advantages and I have already had several offers of employment.
These circumstances did lead to an excellent example of irony - and luck as the case may be - as I was looking to speak with a certain individual regarding work, he approached me asking me to work for him!

In the interim, I have tentatively decided what I want to do, although there are a couple of different options in the wings.
I would like to work at mowing lawns in the summer - and do the books for said lawn maintenance company - and I'd love to teach skiing in the winter.
The ski school at the hill has, over the years, encouraged me to take my Level I Instructor course so I can teach for them, but I was never in a position to be able to commit - now I can!
In the fall I plan to take my Level I and teach all winter, then I would like to continue on to take my Level II course next spring.
Hopefully, I should be able to complete those couple of levels without too much difficulty.
My challenge to myself then will be to attempt the completion of the much tougher Level III Instructor course...

I am very exited about the possiblities!

...working outdoors in the sun, wind and rain.
...and snow.
...getting into decent physical shape.
...I hear a change is as good as a holiday.
...starting my own bookkeeping business.
...the opportunity to earn more money.

A door closes and a window opens!



Maybe I should begin with my own yard...

28 comments:

  1. oh the times they are a changing...
    this sounds like a perfect opportunity for a change..and in to something that you love!..what could be better..i think it's all good..
    ps your yard looks fine..
    in true derelicté style of course..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gypsy!

    You've seen a big change yourself as of late...

    please note derelicte pink boat under tarp

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck my dear and may the winds of change be filled with all types of good things for you and your gang. You know that I only want the best for you - and hopefully this is it.

    It looks like change is in the future for all of us - myself included as I'm desparately trying to change jobs too.

    Yikes .... where is all that snow that was there a month ago :-(. It's gone quickly here too and I didn't have the chance to get to the ski hill after leaving your place.

    Oh, and I think you're already in great shape. You'll just be getting into top physical form with these new endeavours.

    ps: maybe the new job(s) will bring a new and faster computer

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so looking forward to the day when I can kiss my job goodbye. But alas I must stay for at least a few more years. But when my time comes, I am gone and Sweden here I come!

    Goodluck on your future. It sounds bright!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lesley, thanks and I am not trying to change my job, it's just happening - perhaps unfolding as it should...

    Hi Zoe!
    I hope that, in the meantime, you can enjoy your work...a trip to/moving to Sweden will be well-deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooh yes i enlarged the pic and seen the pink boat..its fab!!!...
    do you sail in her?..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gypsy, we motor in her...

    Waterskiing, floating and naked boating.

    Entirely derelicte - and pink, to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Dale, It sounds like a door was already opening before this one closed. And you have a fantastic plan ahead. Good luck with all your changes, change IS good. Keeps life fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wey hey, Dale! This sounds like an opportunity that's been waiting to happen. How exciting to be given a the chance to go your own way. It sounds perfect for you...and yes, I've often wondered why you weren't already a ski instructor! I'm very happy for you!

    As for the lawn, you can regard it as your own personal training ground...lol. After all, you'll need to perfect your skill in mowing straight lines...up..down..up...down...oh, that's skiing isn't it? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it's great that you are looknig forward to the change and seizing the opportunity to do something you love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Grace - it's odd, how several weeks ago I was pondering my future - I was thinking that I was quite happy where I was and couldn't imagine doing anything else...

    Val - I had a nightmare about mowing straight lines the other night - as dreams are often skewed, I was trying to make straight lines on a carpet.
    LOL No straight lines skiing - it's all about the turns!

    Anne-Marie - I am definitely excited about looking ahead and seizing the opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds great!

    Speaking of windows opening, check out my latest blog! Haha! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Dale!
    It was so good to see you yesterday! I think amazing things will be coming your way, because you are so postive and sending out such good things to the world.
    You deserve to have this chance to grow and expand, and do the things you love to do! Hmmm... maybe I will learn to ski again of you are teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  14. ha ha!!..naked moonlight frollicks in the boat..i remember that from last year..did'nt you lose something in the water??..

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'll be right over, Chantal!

    Aww thanks, Steph...
    I'd gladly get you out there on skis!

    Yes Gypsy - naked as a jaybird...except for the sunglasses perched on top of my head - they're at the bottom of the lake now...

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh crap

    i'm sitting here with a stuffed head, tight chest, achy muscles, sore skin and a quickly rising temperature

    welcome spring

    ReplyDelete
  17. i'm going to go rest now with a neo citran

    my temp has jumped 2 degrees farenheit in the past 20 minutes

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dale - this sounds so exciting, and it has the added bonus of a change that you haven't had to bring about entirely by yourself. Most people need a swift kick in the pants to move on from a familiar environment, and it sounds as if misfortune has kicked you in the right direction.

    I am less happy to hear you're feeling crook. Not a good career move! Wrap up warm and get better soon. x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Shame Dale, I hope you're not any worse now. A high temperature is a lousy feeling. Keep warm, drink loads and no skinny skiing, d'you hear?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Dale,
    Change can be a good thing. At least you've got some options of what to do next.

    Good luck to you in the future, I know you'll do just fine!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hope you are on the mend Dale! We are thinking of you over her! Maybe you should watch Gypsy's movie as good medicine. I swear it's the remedy for all ills! Anyway, my friend, keep warm and don't waork too hard at anything. Hugs and love xxxxx Val

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, that certanly is life changing. How exciting to think of all the things you will have the oportunity to do now! I would have thought it would be difficult to find employment in a small town after such a closing (thinking of my own hometown), but that's great that you have all the contacts to have offers ready. Good luck with the new prospects! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! That is very exciting! I'm glad that you have such optimism. A lot of people would automatically freak out at such a forced change. You are making it into a most welcome opportunity. Good for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey Dale!
    Hiya from Edmonton!
    Hope you are feeling better... sorry spring made you sick!

    ReplyDelete
  25. dale!!!!!i'm seriously worried now..i had a special place for you reserved on my reddish carpet for the premier of film noir..so you had to bunk off with a cold...i need your help!!..someone/thing has stolen an hour from me..we need to hot foot to the abbatoir to find it..have you tried some ether ?..that will cure you..
    no really be well soon..(((huddle))

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dale?? Are you still with us? Where are yoooooooo? There's a big empty void out here in blogosphere and we miss you!

    ReplyDelete