Thursday, June 14, 2007

Oh Crap !

Maybe Val will feel better when she reads this.

It was Christmas of 2003 and my Mum and Dad were visiting us for the Holidays.
On Boxing Day we took a fresh-air-day trip to the ski hill, so the kids could try out their new ski equipment/clothes and show Grandma and Grandpa their "stuff".

When we arrived I opened the door to my (locked) locker and I noticed that my two pairs of newly-acquired skis weren't there (I was sure that was where I put them...).
Beth had been to the hill the day before and I asked her (calmly) if she'd moved them to the other locker (we had two, side-by-side).
She told me that she hadn't opened my locker, as her equipment was in the other one with our personal lock on it.
So I checked the other locker - no skis there...
I (somewhat less calmly) checked around the corner, along the aisles, above the lockers, below the ceiling, under the benches...
Then (on the edge of non-calmnity) I noticed my helmet and goggles were absent, as well.

I was aghast (non-calmity instantly replaced by panic) when the realisation slowly sank in.

They were gone.
Not there.
No where to be seen or found.
Disappeared.
A giant black hole in the depths of my locker...

It was then that I came to my senses, lifted my head, and noticed a bit of a buzz going on in the room.
After a moment, Martin, head of security (why was he here?) noticed and approached me (never a good thing, no matter how nice Martin is), and asked if I had had anything stolen.
Oh-oh...

By this time I was in tears and I told him, between sobs...
Yes, I thought so-maybe-but-I'm-not-too-sure-oh-I-hope-not...
HAVE YOU SEEN MY SKIS ???
...as I grabbed him by the shoulders and shook all three hundred pounds of him (in my head).

Martin (calmly) recorded all the required information - again between sobs (mine - not his).
Luckily I am an anal enough personality to make certain all the serial numbers were written down and secured safely in my wallet (how sad is that?).

Eventually, I learned that it was an inside job and one (or more) of the transient staff had acquired/STOLEN the lock combinations of the resort-issued locks.
Being the thoughtful thieves they were, they had waited until at least after Christmas, when all the new equipment had been happily tried out and stored for the next day of fun.
They had, in the dark of night, ripped through the locker room in one fell swoop, all the while opening the locks (no doubt, crowing with delight) then re-locking all the doors before loading up their loot and hot-footing/driving it outta there.
By morning all the stolen articles would have been hundreds of miles away.

It was devastating.
It was a violation.
My pride and joy.
Stolen.
Blatantly - without thought or care.

It did work out in the end, though.
Panorama Mountain Village was very apologetic, gracious and accomodating.
I was also quite fortunate that my home-owner's insurance covered the loss.
The resort said that, if I purchased my replacement pairs of skis at the resort's retail outlet, they would pay my five hundred dollar deductible for me.
They also told me that I could rent skis at no charge from the rental shop until my new skis arrived.

Fortunately, and thankfully, all the practical areas were covered.
I now only had to recover from the loss and the emotions that go along with the sense of being violated and taken advantage of.

As well as deal with the inconvenience of being an obsess...er...avid skier with no skis.
At the beginning of the season, no less.

On the up side - I received brand new skis - and renewed regard for the ski resort that I hold so dear.

15 comments:

  1. Anne-Marie - I was very impressed, and I will always go out of my way to promote their facilities, as well as their integrity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Mum and Dad were present with their solid, comforting shoulders that I remember oh so well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh but what lovely new skies you have! Two pair now to boot (ok two boots too)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah Lesley - the skis are exactly the same, only newer.

    Only one pair now...I gave the orange ones to George.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bloody hell...I'm in need of newer ones now!

    The more one skis
    The quicker one's skis wear out.

    Bet ya didn't know that...

    Neither did I until I began skiing lotsnlots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha ha I love the way you tell stories, so comical :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. At first, I thought you were going to write that you looked down as Martin pointed out the skis were on your feet (something I would definitely do!)

    Happy to read that you had a happy ending. Having had material things stolen as well as other types of thievery ... my heart was just filled with empathy. You wrote it so well! Skiing is not a thing I do well, and haven't attempted in over 20 years. But, it's such an important part of your life --- it must have been like having someone rip your heart out.

    I ponder *a lot* why people go to such lengths to harm others. That type of energy could be used so well in positive ways.

    Well, you turn your lemon story into a lovely lemonade punch for us to sip!

    Thank you, Dale!

    xo Tink

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad it all worked out for you in the end, other peoples sympathy in a time like that makes the sting a little less painful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Dale, I felt your pain, as I knew I would, but your resort came up trumps for you and that is fantastic. I'm sooooo relieved it had a happy ending for you. It can restore your faith in humanity can't it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, no another story of theivery. I do not like theives. I remember my car being broken into coming out of a mall, it was a horrible feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got more things stolen when i lived in the posh areas than i did when i lived in skid row!..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chaz - it wasn't so comical at the time!

    Tink - lol...I've done goofy things like that - looking for my glasses that were on the top of my head and such!
    As the saying goes, every cloud has a silver lining.

    Meg - as well you know, having people there for stregth and understanding really helps.

    Val - it was when I read your post that this event came to mind.
    That's when I thought I'd share it, too, and hopefully ease your own mind a bit.

    Grace - I've never had my vehicle broken into, but I scared off some would-be thieves when I heard them opening the door to my truck...as it was parked outside my bedroom window.
    I saw them take my Aerosmith 8-track tape and I said, "Put that back!" from my window behind the bushes.
    They did - then bolted!

    Gypsy - you're right.
    The posher the area, the better things there are to steal!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dale:
    kewel story and I am amazed that the homeowners insurance covered that!
    I am a serious skier/snowboarder as well so I know how attached you can get to your gear, when you get the right stuff you DO NOT want to lose it or get it stolen, so expensive!

    Just came by to say thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting.

    ROCK ON SISTER

    -Lin

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hated the feeling of coming home to find my bedroom turned over, and things stolen...great outcome for what could have been a not so nice experience!

    ReplyDelete