Saturday, August 04, 2007

Heatwave

This was our sun preparing to dip below the peaks last evening - while I scrambled to find my camera before the sight disappeared forever...
It was a fascinating and eerie scene, as that merciless ball of heat sank through the haze of smoke from distant forest fires.
Overnight the the wind did rise, blowing in from the cooler north, to bring meager relief to the intense summer swelter.
As continued hot weather will take its toll on my good nature, I have recently found myself wishing - on more than one occasion - for the cold.
I now simply have to consider a drop from thirty-eight to twenty-eight degrees a blessing...

5 comments:

  1. Today is the first hot summer's day we've had since April..lol! Seems we had our summer then with temperatures of 30 plus, but at least today has been good and tomorrow promises to be too.

    I'd give a lot to be fed up with the heat, Dale....any chance of slipping your surplus this way?

    The photo is stunning and I can almost feel the tired heat of the day. I love that feeling.

    Any news on the job front? We are all keeping all the bits crossed that we can possible contort into submission...xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful picture, oh, what great cool temperatures! I think we'll up about 100 today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazin picture and discription..
    Dale!, if you go to this link you can watch Withnail and I for free till august the 12th.. :0)

    http://www.channel4.com/4od/index.html?cntsrc=ppc_4od_google_4od

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thirty-eight is definitely stretching the friendship. What is that in the old money - double the number and add 32 ... around 108 then give or take? Not for this little black duck thank you.

    I smiled when I read this though - you talk about the cool North Wind. Here in the Southern Hemisphere our North wind is hot, strong and often laden with bushfire smoke. I hate it.

    You do live in an area of extremes, don't you? I love the way you write about it too.

    Now do I risk putting the mozz on you by asking if you've heard about the job?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The heat is suppressive today here in the southeast. I just came in from mowing the grass and I thought I would pass out. Thank God for air conditioning.

    I posted a pic of winter on my blog. It looks heavenly today. I almost wish it were winter. At least I wouldn't have to mow.

    Gorgeous picture btw. I hope they get the forest fires under control soon. The whole world is literally going to hell in a hand basket.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete