Sunday, February 17, 2008

"Take the Lake"

Approximately ten metres wide and five kilometres long, it knocks a good twenty minutes from the time it takes to drive to town and back. No, it's not rapid public transit, nor is it the result of expensive bridge engineering. And yet, it could very well be both - minus the cost.
It's our seasonal highway across the frozen lake.
Not only a quick, as-the-crow-flies route to town, the byway is also peppered with a variety of quaint (and not-so-quaint) ice fishing shacks. As well, it is not uncommon to see entire families out picnicking, young ones in tow - literally. There are always toboggans loaded with laughter being pulled behind all terrain vehicles and snow mobiles. Barbeques, bonfires and woodstoves abound - it's cold out there! On the weekends the ice surface becomes a veritable midwinter playground.
Organised events are also numerous. January hails the annual Curling Bonspeil on the Ice and, in February, there are the Ice Fishing Derby and Snow Golf Tournament. Try finding a golf ball in the snow...
Then there's the unexpected. One evening, as I was heading home and preparing to launch onto the ice road, I waited at an intersection as a snowboarder, roped to a half-ton truck, crossed the intersection. Apparently, the fun continues beyond the shoreline.
That all being said, the ice highway does have its follies.
Springs and open water have taken their share of victims over past winters. Therefore, it's a good idea to stick to the road, rather than strying to far from its track.
The local hockey team does a fund-raiser each year by doing an "Ice-Out" lottery. Everyone who purchases a ticket has a chance to make a guess as to when the ice will be gone off the lake. Every year it happens in a varying ways and on a different date - all dependent upon the weather.
My guess is that we will be able to take the lake for at least another three weeks.

13 comments:

  1. LOL Gypsy!

    I was skating down the lake several years back and my friend fell straight through thin ice...
    I had to stop, drop and drag her back out. Nothing like a bit of adrenaline to wake a person up!
    Then there was the cold skate back home...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dale, happy late birthday, what a skiier you are!! wow.

    I loved reading this post, you bring up joy with the snow and winter fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOh Yes, Dale. Skating on thin ice is as dangerous as the expression suggests. You and your friend were lucky! As was I when I had to rescue my old collie when she chased a swan across the ice and fell through it, and then couldn't get out. The strange thing was when I got her out, I was soaked to the waist and at first, felt as if I was burning...then the cold set in during the walk home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you should go skating, on the thin ice of your life... (everybody sing along now!)

    Never a dull moment in the land of 4 seasons.

    xx
    AM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lake ice? Uh oh....whoa!


    Is that the beach you were talking about as you made that fine comment on my very simple and stupid blog? If so....Dale....go West...in fact, come visit us, here! You will be loved.

    Peace,

    --Dan L.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dale, sea level is a long way down for you, so's I'd guess you'd be more likely to be barging down hill..lol. By the way, how's Lesley these days. She's withdrawn from blogdom for a while I know, but we still think of her. Send her my love when you next talk to her? Love to you too xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dale, I am switching to invite on my blog, I have sent you an invite, hope you have received it. if not bloggrace@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you are all insane. there be water under that ice.
    Hey Dale, do you do book-keeping? and if so, can I hire you?
    pretty please?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dale,

    Ponce a wanna time I was riding to our lake with my dad in his VW bug (before they had heaters). He was bopping along and suddenly swung from the road onto the ice and drove straight across the lake to our cottage. I about had a fit, he didn't tell me he was going to do it, and I wasn't at ALL sure the ice was going to hold us. He did, it did and I live to tell....

    Hope alls well.
    xox
    ~lace~

    ReplyDelete
  10. you may regret it... lol. but I do need to get all my tax stuff done soon. let me know your schedule... i will adjust mine for you... my cell is 341-8718...

    ReplyDelete