Thursday, September 17, 2009

Stewed Red Tomatoes

It's Fall. And the nesting urge is upon me.
As the days grow shorter and the winds blow colder, I feel I must reap and gather. Although I don't have a vegetable garden per se, I do have a selection of tiny, green plastic pots bearing fruit. Well, in this case, tomatoes... which, arguably, are indeed a fruit - but I use them in a vegetable context...
These tiny, green plastic pots were purchased through Jenny's school to help raise money for her class trip to Quebec next spring. The entire idea being, that the plants growing in these tiny, green plastic pots be transplanted to a traditional garden or large planter. In my case, this did not happen. I moved into my new home this spring, and the idea of hoisting a large bottom-half-of-a-barrel filled with soil and seedlings was not appealing at all. So, there the wee plants remained - in the tiny, green plastic pots.
Throughout the summer I tenderly cared for the tiny flora. The dill discontinued, the cilantro croaked and the basil breathed its last. The parsley promised not to perish, but the tomatoes triumphed!
There they were - four of the most-cherished vegetablefruit in the valley.
Today, I swept down upon them. I reaped and I gathered. Then I cooked.
I don't know if I can eat them now...

After the Harvest

The End Result

6 comments:

  1. LOL Dale, but you must savour the soup! Enjoy it with all the love and care you lavished on the wee tomatoes themselves. Your other wee pots sound just like mine. It was not a good season for anything this year. I think everything came in the wrong order..too much sun when ther should have been rain and vice versa!

    Enjoy! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks good Dale. Those tomatoes just keep on going, last year I had alot of them. Didn't even water what was left of the plant....and more tomatoes kept coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Val, it's not been a bad growing season here... I think. Well, my tomatoes prove so, though. It was fun watching them grow.
    Hey! I'm a poet and don't know it...

    Grace, were your plants in tiny, green plastic pots? lol

    I've put the stew in the freezer...
    I'm off on holidays tomorrow, so I can stew over it for a week and a bit.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have to eat them, Dale, or they will have died in vain.

    Excellent fruits and veggies so far here too- it must be the soil saturation from the last two very snowy winters.

    xx
    AM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man! That looks delicious! I'm coming over for a cup. :o)

    Happy Equinox ... may the fruits of your labors bring warmth and nourishment to your body and soul ~*~

    xo

    ReplyDelete