Tuesday, September 08, 2009

When the cat's away...

Beau in front of the fire - notice his short front legs.

... should I worry?
I thought we had lost Beau over the weekend.
He is such a bold and friendly kitty and I was sure that had landed him in trouble.
He disappeared for more than a day and I feared he had been scooped by a weekend visitor and whisked away to the city.
A good example of Beau's bold attitude is, just the other evening, we were out at the front of the house watching a doe and her twin fawns feeding on the empty lot across the road.
Beau caught sight of them, crouched down in the tall grass, wiggled his back legs and pounced, right into the nose of the mama deer! She just looked at Beau, with her big doe eyes, and sniffed noses with him.
Imagine! Wee Beau attempting to take down a deer who's head alone was larger than his body!
Beau did return last evening, none the worse for wear, although he is favouring his right front leg. There were many people about over the long weekend and I think he just went visiting - after all, it wasn't nearly as exciting here as it was several doors down...
Now that all the action has passed, he appears content staying at home.

7 comments:

  1. Beau thinks he is a lion instead of a kitty! I love that story, and I am so glad he came home, he wouldn't like the city after living in his beautiful surroundings. That would make me so nervous having a cat, letting them outside, not seeing them, hoping they come home. Beau is home and safe - yay!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness he came home. I can't bear to think of my friends' own furry friends going missing. He's quite a character isn't he? Lovely image of him pouncing on the doe there.

    You write about these things as if it's the most normal sight in the world to see a deer across the road! It must be so wonderful, Dale, and I know you love and value it too, but I'd so like to have just a small peice of that..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eight more lives to go, Beau. Be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right, Grace, he's a lion in kitty clothing...
    He would not be happy in the city either, but I would rather let my cats stray and be "cats" than keep them inside.
    You may come and enjoy a piece of my paradise any time, Val! You may bring Koos, too - as long as he's good... lol
    AM, knowing Beau, he'll use up nine lives - with many left over!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I understand cats are not meant to be inside. They must be out and about investigating etc. Just would be a tough one for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. enjoyed the bowl of ice cream ;)
    maybe someday it can be done in person....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beau looks like he's saying a little prayer at the hearth.

    No more giving your Mom grey hair, Beau!

    ReplyDelete