Thursday, September 03, 2009

Wind Over Windermere



The wicked southwest gale brought trees down all over Windermere. Huge willows, that have been standing for years, were scattered like matchsticks and once stately pines were split into halves, as though snapped by the hands of a giant.
A second wind storm - no rain this time - blasted down from the north in the early evening, wreaking further havoc. I was in town at the time and returned to find my deck in shambles.
My large, heavy corn plant had been tossed onto its side and was surrounded by dirt and scattered pebbles. The comforter from my outside couch had blown completely free and was wedged against the railing at the other end. The tablecloth would have completely disappeared, had it not been held down by my Christmas cactus - a hardy little fellow. The only reason my bike was still standing was because I had it cabled to the rail and my flowers were also spared, as they are located at the southern end of the deck.
Wild weather, indeed!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Dale,
    your voice is similar to your sister's- I can hear the family resemblance. Of course, right now, your dear sister has lost her voice somewhat and sounds quite grave.
    We've had many storms like that this summer, actually much worse ones than that. We have a black walnut tree in the yard and it swayed quite frightfully at the last one.

    Enjoy the last weekend of summer, my dear. I hope the weather clears for you- we're looking at 25 to 30 C with lots of humidity. Yay! We're all off to Port Dover, along with your sis.

    xx
    AM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of the storms we used to view at Lac Mac.

    Do have a great Labour Day week-end. AM and I will raise a glass in your honour over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AM, I haven't even heard my voice on this post! I haven't hooked my speakers up yet, but I will add that to my "To Do" list for today.

    Lesley, it is quite similar to Lake McDonald. I never realised how much I learned about weather from watching the lake in all its moods.
    I hope your voice is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dale! How great to hear your voice! So much more real when there's a voice to put to the face! You had a storm that swept all the way across to the Netherlands yesterday! We had it too...a good force 8 to 9 gale. Quite scary with the river producing whitecaps like the sea. Today was also pretty windy but not so bad. The Wandering Snail has joined us here in Rotterdam and survived the worst conditions they've had in Europe.

    I'm sad to hear about your trees. it takes so long for beautiful trees to grow again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Dale,

    How great....to hear your voice. cool. :)

    Whoa, that is like a winter storm around here. A good drenching sounds good, but that looked a bit much!

    Have a good weekend. xo

    ReplyDelete