Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Fallout Across the Border

Spiderman, Spiderman,
Does whatever a spider can
Spins a web, any size,
Catches thieves just like flies
Look Out! Here comes the Spiderman.
Is he strong?
Listen bud,
He's got radioactive blood...

Of course, the thought never ocurred to me, but one cannot cross the border into the United States carrying radioactive cargo.
Since the 9/11 scare, security has been tightened quite significantly. No doubt this law is in place to avoid the transport of unstable elements such as Plutonium, Uranium, Strontium, Palladium, Eugene, etc.
Eugene?
Apparently we lit up the Geiger counter as we passed through the border gates on Saturday. My unassuming family van was instantly surrounded by gun-wielding guards with hand held radiation detectors flashing red. They instructed Gene to pull over and informed us that we were "hot".
Luckily, we had been forwarned and Gene produced a letter from his doctor explaining that he would be radioactive for a period of time after undergoing an ECG stress test.
We were quickly separated as a border officer guided Eugene to a small room where he monitored his radiation levels. The officer also asked him questions regarding the stress test and gathered other information before allowing us entry into the country. Meanwhile, my vehicle was searched and I, too, was "Geiger counted", but we were green to go.
Fortunately, radioactivity is not contagious!
The crossing back into Canada the following day was less eventful, with only having to fill out a declaration and make a duty payment on some items we purchased while in the US.

13 comments:

  1. Eek! that must have been a bit alarming! Good that Eugene had been forwarned! I wonder what would have happened if he hadn't had his doctor's details and stress test info...shudders to think.

    Anyway, as if any real terrorist would try and enter the US with high radiation levels...they would have sussed that out long before and found another route through entirely.

    Such is the name of the game Dale. I'm very glad you made it through without further ado tho'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Val, we thought of that!
    The fact that Gene's doctor made him aware of it was purely by chance. At his appointment, Eugene happened to be wearing a t-shirt with a Sandpoint, Idaho logo across the front. The doctor asked if he went there often and Gene told him we were going down on the weekend. That's when the doctor said he'd need a letter of explanation.
    Whew!
    Intimidation, too, is indeed part of the game, and it was a bit scary.
    I wondered if they were testing me and the vehicle, thinking the stress test might have been a "cover" for smuggling an atom bomb across the border...
    God forbid, it's no joking matter these days.

    lol (in a whisper)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing more fun than crossing the border these days. I absolutely dread it, whether we're in a car or going through airports. My US born hubby refers to the whole intimidation, etc... as "security theatre". He gets to say that to their faces because he is a US citizens, whereas I must just smile my polite Canadian smile.

    So, you have a hot boyfriend, eh?

    xx
    AM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, talk about a Stress Test! That'll test ya!!

    Dale smuggling Atom Bombs? You guys sure are a scary bunch. lol
    But seriously, if these tactics, harsh as they are, aren't used in many places...then the worst could happen. That should never happen again. Sure all this security is annoying and sometimes over the top...but....I ll just smile too and go with the flow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've come to dread it, too, Anne-Marie. I sometimes feel that I'm presumed guilty until proven innocent - and not just crossing the border, mind!
    LOL My boyfriend will only be hot until the end of October!

    LOL Grace, a "stress test", indeed!
    Like you and AM, I just smile, answer the questions asked of me and go with the flow.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You were indeed lucky, as it could have been a lot more time consuming than it was.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're right, String. We were prepared and that makes a difference - especially when processing paperwork!

    I believe most governments work in quintuplicate... ;)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a hoot of a story - however - its not the first time I've heard of this type of incident.

    Hey, I'm glad to know that Gene is so "hot". Perhaps he'll be able to give you some extra warmth as the snow and cold arrive.

    Hey, I'm so happy I saw you last week. When we see each other - it's like no time has passed since the last time we saw each other.

    Lesley
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. So hot hot hot

    :o)

    That is one for the books my dear!

    Hope Gene's testing comes out okay. Will send a little prayer.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alas, Lesley, Gene hotness is limited to about thirty days... ;)
    I was very happy you could make it to Mum and Dads' and we had a great visit! I hope all is going well and moving along for you - email me, if you need to.

    Oh thanks, Tink! Gene's test came out very well - healthy as a horse!
    lol

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, my... I'm glad I'm not travelling to the US so frequently anymore :)
    I used to carry an old wristwatch with large characters glowing in the dark and it made a radiation meter, here at our lab, jump out of the scale! I never carried that watch since then and it would for sure have made me a terrorist today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. lol Hans!
    A radioactive watch?
    I wonder how good for your health that would be!
    I certainly don't blame you for shelving it. It would, no doubt, have been cause for alarm had it been worn across the US border.
    Nothing goes undetected these days...

    ReplyDelete
  13. That really happened? How bizarre!

    ReplyDelete