Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The World at War (post 1)

This weekend our home ski resort is hosting the Women's Alpine World Cup event, where the best women skiers in the world will be battling it out for ultimate supremacy on the snow.
Olympian competitor, Christina Lustenberger, who was born and raised here in the valley, is fighting under the Canadian banner along with several of her teammates.
The Giant Slalom race will be held on Saturday, followed by the medal ceremony that evening in town, coinciding with our yearly Christmas Light-Up.

The next day's Slalom competition should be quite exciting, as the course is set up on a very tricky descent.
(Interestingly enough, we have skied those very slopes many times over the years and we are familiar with every curve, dip, pitch and roll along the way!)

Jenny and her Grade 5 class will be singing our National Anthem at the opening ceremonies early Saturday morning and we will be there to join in the song and cheer!
We had previously volunteered to help out with the race, but apparently they had enough regular help, therefore our resources were not needed.
Now we can observe the skirmish of skill and speed first hand from alongside the course!

If any of you want to see the race, I believe it will be televised world-wide over several networks.
You might just see us cheering our girls through the gates from behind front lines...

14 comments:

  1. T'aint no snow here at all at all!

    Where do you guys get that stuff?

    --Dan L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually Dan, Dale has is special ordered in from Greenland... she loves it THAT muchQ
    ;)
    It was nice to be able to have a quick hug at light up Dale!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo hoo! I will watch out for you, and of course will be barracking for (I think you say rooting for?) local girl Christina.

    What a thrill for Jenny!

    Wonder if we have any competitors in it? Speaking of making snow, I believe we had to do a lot of that last ski season. It just wasn't cold enough. No wonder our skiers spend most of their time living and training in Europe. Now if they all had back yards like yours Dale ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That....is very exciting Dale. Snow already, we had Turkey in 70 degree sun! Have fun and enjoy

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how exciting!!

    You don't have to make snow....you can have some of ours....*L*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to see that Alpine event, Dale, I am a huge snowboarder and skier and have been for 30 years.
    I fear I will not get any snow at all in NY this year and will have to travel to Canada to get my powder on!

    How's everything at home?
    Better than the last time I stopped over to say hi, I hope?

    Be well
    -Lin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thinking of you, sending positive vibes, warm huddles and good things!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well Dale, if you get to see Bizarre Foods, he will alot of the time tell you that the food he is about to eat smells anything from delicious to rancid, but he eats it anyway!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Dale! It's easy to see that you're in your element - and very good to know you're enjoying yourself...

    Have a blast! Swoooosssshhh

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! Dale ~ Owl Woman! Wonderful post, photos, and videos. Woo Whoooo! I was waving and cheering for Jenny.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds very exciting. I love to watch winter sports, not compete in them though. I'd no doubt kill myself.
    Hopefully I'll be able to watch some of it between patients.

    I'll be looking for ya!

    XO
    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  12. FAntastic posts. It makes you feel like you're right there. I'm glad you had fun!

    I've been busy buying a house and bought one today. It closes on January 30th. I have pic on my blog.

    Hint ... Home Depot gift certificates are great Christmas presents ... psst pass it on (lol)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the pictures, they set the scene very well..
    Alfie can make snow, every time he shakes himself it snows white fluff..I can gather it up in me hoover and send it via Bert, he can then sprinkle it over you!..

    ReplyDelete