Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Of Shoes and Ships...


I have the urge to do a post, yet I have no particular idea in mind. I am sitting here at my desk after work, with thoughts chasing themselves about my head. Gene is stoking the fire in the fireplace, Bob is playing a video game and I am enjoying my wonderful new office space and having a bit of time to relax at the end of the day. The sun is setting and a cool breeze is goosebumpling my arms as it passes through my window along its journey from the snowy peaks. The grass on the lawn is poking its green shoots between last year's leaf-fall - much to the pleasure of the local deer population. The robins are warbling their lovesongs from the tree branches and the buds are swelling on the Maydays - soon to be a welcome source of shade as the days grow longer. Although the weekend weather was sunny and hot, it rained most of the day yesterday and snowed today. So, if you don't like the weather around here, wait ten minutes - it'll change. I am putting off making supper. Bobby is down with a fever and strep throat - might as well get it all over at once, that boy - so he's not hungry, but still drinking plenty of fluids. I don't know where Gene is now. The sun is streaming into the room and it's really quite nice. I am relatively happy where I am, but it's taking a bit of time getting used to living in such large quarters. I find it a challenge not being able to have everything within arm's reach - such as tissues, my glasses, a book, supper... The TV is on and Grissom is wondering who's cougar that is in the vehicle they found abandoned - oh, for Pete's sake, just take a swab and check the DNA. I found Gene in the shower. By accident. Must send him to the store, as we need veggies - for the supper I haven't cooked yet. As for the photo, it depicts my dismal ski record for the season, but I really WAS having fun when the photo was taken. It snowed plenty at the hill , so at the very least, the days we did go skiing were in lots of butt-kickin' powder. Last year I skied sixty days - this season I skied six...
In the end, we roll with the punches and do the best we can.

11 comments:

  1. Hi Dale,
    Sorry that we here in the east hogged all the snow this year. You could have just come over and taken it, you know, I doubt many of us would have minded. ;)

    Actually, as spring springs up, I think it was the most beautiful winter ever in years. So white, and strangely warm. For all the non Canadians, you have to realise that it cannot snow when it gets too cold.

    Happy warming up, and let's not get crazy and rush the summer, okay?

    xx
    AM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne-Marie

    We had tons of snow. We made it to the hill for closing day and skied the back bowls in better-than-winter-snow. (Usually the backcountry is skiing closed).
    It was one of the best snow seasons yet...we were just unable to take full advantage of it.
    Such as life is...

    I think we truly had a great white north all winter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Dale,

    I am pleased you posted. Sounds like you are heading into spring with some fresh grass poking through. It felt like summer around here this weekend, but this evening I have a fire going, turned cold. Although these darn allergies are still getting the best of me, oh well, only a few more months! lol

    Glad you are well. xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Noooo, not swimming yet for me, I am a tropical swimmer Dale. I leave that up to the girls! I think the weather doesn't know what to do around the world. I just layer up for the day and see how it goes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely, musing, newsy and very evocative post Dale. It's great to hear from you again. I'm sorry about your ski season, as I know how liberating you find flinging yourself down a mountain.

    Getting used to a new space is tricky. Tell you what - mine's pretty small with the five of us. I'll trade you for some more room.

    And can I just say that your word "goosebumpling" is simply magnificent. I shall steal it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh dear Dale... this post speaks of a happier state of mind and more peace in your heart... I do hope I am interpreting it right... my heart is lighter just reading your words...
    we never have had our fuzzy sock, popcorn and wine night.... soon... so soon....
    much love to you
    S

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the photo you chose, Dale! It's something I can really, really relate to. On my rear. :o)

    I like reading about your day here. Pleasant, comfy, just being in a moment. Very cool.

    Hope strep throat is gone by now. And that more of those green sprouts have popped!

    xo Tink

    ReplyDelete
  8. All quiet on the western front there Dale-that's good..

    Sounds peacful in the Snowy Dales..



    Gather ye cowpats while ye may...
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Dale, I am the latecomer here this time. I love your post, talking of random and incidental musings...cabbages and kings, shoes and ships - it's all the same kind of difference really.

    Seems that your paucity of skiing follows our of faring this last twelve months. I am getting such urges to go away on the barge, it makes me quite deperate when I see others going away or even talking of going away. I so hope we'll be able to do some this year at least.

    As for your space, I now understand your comment about my barge! Yes, everything is almost literally within arm's reach there, but it's amazing how often I can't find things all the same!

    Have a lovely weekend, dear Dale. xx Val

    ReplyDelete
  10. If u now have that room you r speaking of (overlooking the mountains) and if all those "nasty disgusting trees" blocking your view is the room from which u r writing I am so jealous and so "Go girl, that is so your room, keep your inspirations flowing, love 2 hear from u

    ReplyDelete