Wednesday, January 25, 2006

MEMORIES OF FIJI
















This is the tiny resort island where my family and I spent one glorious week last summer.

It is the Island of Toberua, just off the coast of the southern island of Fiji, not far from the capital city of Suva.
My Mum and Dad have visited there several times and enjoy the island's friendly and exotic atmosphere.

Last year was my parents' fiftieth wedding anniversary and they decided to plan something special for that occasion...

We all met down in Fiji for a one week family reunion!
How nice is that?

The reunion included my entire immediate family and our children.
There were my Mum and Dad (of course), my next younger brother with his two sons (thirteen and eleven), my younger sister, my youngest brother with his wife, son and daughter (ages nine and seven respectively), and my own family, including my husband, three children (fifteen, nine and eight) and me!

There were fourteen of us in all and we occupied five of the fourteen bures that, built in the traditional Fijian fashion, were our luxurious accommodation on the island.

It was wonderful seeing everyone again!
Not to mention being in Fiji!

My Mum and Dad live in Quebec, as does my brother and his boys.
My sister lives in Toronto and my other brother lives in Australia with his family - we had not yet met his daughter before the holiday.
My family and I live in the Rockies of western Canada.

So, a reunion with our family was a rare treat, indeed!

7 comments:

  1. Wow, that sounds absolutely fabulous!! Hey, my parents have their 40th coming up - perhaps I should suggest something like that?? :) I know what the answer would be - my Mom would be raring to go, but my Dad, your typical cheap Scotchman not willing to spend money on anything as frivilous as traveling anywhere you can't drive to, would say "You go - bring me back a video so I can see it." LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That family reunion sounded so
    wonderful Dale.Wow,so beautiful
    Fiji.Congrats and happy belated anniversary wishes to your mum and
    dads 50th!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks spectacular!

    Amazing your folks 50 years together. That is more beautiful than the island!

    : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating and a bit sad, the family so far apart. By comparison my brother lives only a hop and a skip away (Ontario).
    Fiji looks and sounds just wonderful, so much beauty, colour and good weather.
    Love
    Koos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dale,
    what a wonderful idea, getting everyone together in such a beautiful locale. I love the pictures!

    Cheers,
    AM

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW how Fab and now I must be looking a bit green with envy! Whenever the next party is let me know to get the adoption papers ready so I can be a part and come with!!

    X-Molly

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful spot for a family reunion - I'm very jealous!

    ReplyDelete