Friday, February 10, 2006

WELCOME TO THE 2006 WINTER OLYMPICS!


I am very proud of two local girls who have berths on teams in the 2006 Winter Olympics!

One of the girls is in her late twenties and will be representing Canada on the womens curling team.
The other, in her early twenties,will be representing Canada on the womens alpine ski team.

Both the girls were born and raised in our little town - population of approximately five thousand souls. Those are pretty good odds!
There are three others who have homes in the valley that are going to compete, as well. Although they are not "home grown", they live and train here, so I really think that counts, too.
Two of them are on the womens cross-country ski team and the other is on the mens alpine ski team.
One of the girls on the cross-country team was a gold medal winner at Salt Lake City four years ago!

The opening ceremonies are being held today in Turin, Italy.

All I can say is - You Go Girls...and Boy!!

7 comments:

  1. My Dear Dale
    One of your most devoted fans, all the way across the globe, missing the opportunity to congratulate you on your birthday. That is a real shame and can only be described as 'meant to be'. Coincidence and selective perception are hopelessly inadequate here.
    Much love, happiness, courage, health and prosperity from
    Koos_F and VallyP

    PS Dutch is my mother tongue. I mostly use it for thinking. Reliable witness says I talk in my sleep - in English!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know Koos has sent birthday wishes for us both, but just to add my own few words. Have a wonderful day and year. You must be very proud of your two local heroes! Enjoy your day and your evening,and have a great weekend!!!!
    Take care
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is totally amazing! Wow!

    Did you have a nice day?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dale,
    I totally forgot about the Olympics starting today! I went to see David Suzuki speak at our teacher federation day. Two weeks of competition, woohoo!
    Very cool that you have locals to cheers on.

    -AM

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have my official Canadian Olympic toque and t-shirt already to wear. There has been very little mention of the games here - we do have skiing in this area, but, to put it into perspective ... they are calling for 3-4 inches of snow tonight and the bread and milk are flying off the shelves. Winter is definitely considered evil by most here.

    Me, I miss it so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, I think we won a gold in the moguls yesterday, didn't we? I think that girl was from Alberta, though. I don't really know the atheletes well, but keep the medal total in my head. *L*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi ya Dale,

    49 and looking younger every year!
    Happy happy belated birthday,hope
    you had a wonderful day and have
    a wonderful year!!Congrats to
    your friends on making the Olympic
    teams,that's quite a feat :O)

    ReplyDelete