Monday, February 27, 2006

TIDBITS

Yesterday was a great day on the ski hill.
There was at least one foot of snow over night.
Beth and I had to be up there early, because we were volunteers working at the BC Provincial High School Slalom Ski race.
We got first-tracks down the first run in the near knee-deep fresh powder!
Whoopee!!!

On Friday I took Beth to the doctor to see if we could get her some medication for an ear infection.
While the doctor was examining her, he stopped suddenly, looked up and out the window.
We followed his gaze and looked outside, too.
There was a female deer, standing upon her hind legs looking back in at us!
The window is about chin height, so the only way we would have noticed any animal out there was if they were very tall.
Apparently, there are several mountain ash trees planted about the perimeter of the medical clinic. The hungry deer (there was a herd of about five) were standing up to reach the few berries left over from last fall.

Today Beth had her two snowboard runs to do in the Provincial Snowboard giant slalom race.
...don't you wish you could get a couple of days off school to go skiing in The Rockies..?
She called me at work this afternoon, breathless and excited about the excellent times she got for her runs!
Way to go, Beth - I am so proud of you!
One more race to go tomorrow.

Henrietta is doing fine and she says thank you to everyone who sent get well wishes...

We came in eighth out of fifteen teams in the Starlight Challenge. The last race and windup banquet was on Friday night.
Each of our team members won a round of golf at a local golf course.
Yay, team!

Congratulations to all the Canadian athletes who competed in the 2006 Winter Olympics in Torino, Italy!
We brought home twenty four medals!

5 comments:

  1. Deer are so beautiful and majestic - as long as they aren't at the side of a road! That's a big problem here. We can see deer from our back windows in our house, though - the come wandering out of the forest in groups of 3 or 4 - very wonderful to watch! I think it's even more rewarding to see them because they are such shy and timid animals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Beth

    These particular deer are part of a herd that lives in & about town.
    They are beautiful, especially when they go bounding across the landscape - if you can call Main Street "landscape"...

    Some consider them a bit of a "nusance", but we chose to live in their backyard. So, I have no problem with them.

    I think they are one of the unique attributes to our life here in the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, how awesome is that to see a deer so close.

    I'm so glad that little Henrietta is getting better.

    I'm having post-Olympic withdrawal. I was really enjoying watching the competitions. Almost makes me want to take up skiing....

    Cheers,
    AM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Dale! That is quite a score of medals! Loved all your titbits about your family, and especially the delight of seeing a deer in the doctor's backyard.

    Sorry I've been silent, but I discovered I'd enabled a filter on my blog that I didn't know I'd done which meant I didn't see any of the comments. They'd all been stored awaiting approval! Guess I still have to get the hang of all the possible refinements.

    Enjoy your wonderful snow and celebrate the deer. No way can anyone consider them a nuisance. They are creatures of such nobility.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dale,
    I've just had a cold for almost a week. Nothing too terrible, thanks for asking. :)

    -AM

    ReplyDelete