Sunday, April 09, 2006

SPRING SKIING ROCKS! or FINDING ANGUS







I spent yesterday afternoon chasing Angus.



There is nothing like an afternoon of skiing in the spring sun complimented by my beloved rock and roll!
When Jenny and I arrived at the base, the rhythmic chants of "Highway to Hell" were calling to us from the DJ's pit, bold and decisive, commanding the tone of the afternoon.



This is why we brave the winter's cold all season!

The temperature was warm and it was oh-so-close-to sunny with only a thin cloud layer.
The snow was what has been dubbed hero snow, where the consistency of the pack is such that it grips the skis so well that any fear of falling is non-existent.
It made me feel close to invincible!

In fact, it was so hot I was able to get my kit off... for all you Brits out there.
Of course, I did not take it all off!
That corn snow can be deadly on exposed skin and a single slip can turn one's arms, legs or belly to instant hamburger.

I had shed my helmet - not good - but it did give me an exhilarating sense of freedom!
My goggles were left in my sports bag - on purpose - so I had the wind in my face behind my sunglasses.
My jacket, a skier's delight, has all the fancy bells and whistles and the sleeves are
removable, so I left them in my bag along with my goggles.

Then, of course there was the icing on the cake - la piece de resistance.


The MUSIC!


Ohh, that raw beat echoing throughout the hills...
Unfortunately, the higher up we skied, the less we were able to hear, so the occasional slide back down to the base was essential.

After the lifts had closed, the resort hosted two free live shows in the sun pit outside the main lodge.
The opening act was a very good local quartet from British Columbia called "Shag".
They played mostly tunes from two decades ago, as the theme of the day was the 1980's.
There was lots of big hair and neon being flashed...

The main attraction was the well known Canadian band "54-40", who's lead singer, Neil Osborne, strongly resembles a young Neil Young.
There was standing/dancing room only and the sun pit was very much like a mosh pit.
Jenny and I had the front row for a while and did well at holding our own, until it became far too big and bouncy, and I feared for wee Jenny's safety.
We dodged for cover to the back of the patio where we met up with our friends and had an excellent view of the show.
I can only severely understate the performance by saying it was superb!

It was 8:00 p.m. by the time we arrived home from the hill.
We were tired, hungry and very happy...



I not only found my Angus that day, but I tackled him as well!



*The photo credit goes to Mountain Eye Photography at Panorama Mountain Village.
Coincidentally enough, it is of last year's Sunpit Safari where a local band BC/DC, an AC/DC tribute band, was playing.

5 comments:

  1. in the vast array that is the imagination...anything is possible...i think!....likewise thankyou..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gypsy
    I believe that, if it can be imagined, it is possible.
    Hypothetically speaking...

    ;)
    Dale

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dale,
    I see I wasn't the only one having a rockin' weekend. Great post!

    Cheers,
    AM

    ReplyDelete
  4. your imagination is tuned in your art work is very good....i cant draw a breath let alone a picture...lol...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you guys really rocked out this weekend. It sounds like it was a blast! I only wish we could find stuff so fun to do around here! I'll just live vicariously though your postings...*L*

    ReplyDelete