Wednesday, August 23, 2006

FOR BETH


I very recently discovered that a dear friend of mine died in a car accident several weeks ago.

I met Beth while I was living in the province of Saskatchewan.
Beth was born and raised in a small prairie town.
Family meant the world to her and she was close to her parents, bothers, sister, various inlaws and many nieces and nephews.
I was far from my own family and hers adopted me into their fold and made me feel at home.

Beth and I lived, played and worked together for many years and we were very much like sisters.
Beth had a warm smile to go along with her endearing personality.
She was kind and had a heart of gold.
She also had an engaging sense of humour!

I had not seen Beth for several years, as she was living in Alberta and I in British Columbia, but we did stay in touch.
We also had something that we shared - we have both had children that were put up for adoption.
We found that was a strong bond and I believe that we drew strength from it.
Beth eventually found her daughter and developed a loving relationship with her and her adoptive family.

When my daughter was born, I called her Beth - short for Elizabeth - and gave her the middle name of Anne... just like my dear friend.

Beth, I will miss you and I know you would not want me to mourn - you would rather I celebrate.

I can still hear your laughter!

7 comments:

  1. So she WAS your family when you were there in Saskatchewan...

    I hope her laughter is filling the realms of the heavens now. She sounds like a truly lovely person...lots of huddles winging their way to you dear Dale xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear this Dale. My granny lived until she was 96. Towards the end of her life. she used to say that she would soon die, and when she did, the hole I would feel in my chest was a piece of me she took with her. I never forgot that in times of loss.
    Take care Dale - Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh dale now you have put the story and picture to beth...i feel your loss..she was indeed a special person..your right do not mourn but celebrate the gift that she brought to yours and others life..x..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this may seem irreverent, Dale, but if you want a smile, no, a really good laugh..go to my African Ways site and look at the movie there. I wet myself laughing...
    My daughter sent it to me..;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dale,
    How sad that she was taken so young, and in a way that her friends and family could not say goodbye.

    I'm so sorry.

    Love,
    AM

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a lovely tribute, Dale. She sounds like a wonderful person.

    ReplyDelete
  7. dale im so sorry for your loss.. life and time may divide you for now.. but youll see her again you know..

    ~Lace~

    ReplyDelete