Wednesday, August 09, 2006

I'M STILL HERE


And this is where I am...

The above photo is of the beautiful Laurentian Mountains of Quebec.

Last Saturday we did the three-hour drive to Calgary Airport and caught our flight.
I flew the four hours to Montreal with Bobby and Jenny where my mum and dad met us and drove us the last two hours home.
George and Beth stayed behind in order to go to work - not all of us gets holidays!

We've had some fun splashing in the lake, eating great food, going to the local flea market, and I stayed up way too late last night visiting with my sister.

The weather has been wonderful, but last week they had a storm similar to the one we had - trees down all over the place with power and telephone knocked out for days.
The huge tree beside my parents' house came down across the lines and we had to call the power company personally in order to have the lines reconnected.
We heard nothing for days, then Hydro Quebec trucks visited us four times in one day - I felt as though we were being stalked by the power company...

Today is a quiet day where we have the house to ourselves, so I have a moment to do a bit on the computer.

11 comments:

  1. yay!! dale good to hear from you in weather torn remotest far flung area...thought you'd been kidnapped by the alcy comments...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee Hee

    I don't need to be kidnapped for that...

    Difficult to blog with no power, telephone or time.

    But I didn't mind being stalked by the Hydro Quebec derelicte chic...

    lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'tis a dangerous and wild place we visit...

    Jenny just received a bee sting on her middle toe whilst setting up her tent...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hydro Quebec derelicte chic...
    sounds intriguing..oh poor jenny that must be painful..((ouch))..

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a stunning place Dale!!! I wouldn't mind being stranded there..especially if the hydro Derelicte chic turned up four times to rescue me..lol! All that delcious wild brawn....yum!

    Hope you're having lots of TLC Dale..I guess it must be good to be with your sister too...Seems amazing that you already live in such a beautiful and remote pace and that you can go on holiday to another piece of magic half way across the flippin world and still be in the same country!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dale,

    I'm glad to see you're having a good time! If you want to get together for lunch (if you have the time - I know it's packed with seeing everyone on a vacation!), drop me an e-mail.

    I know there are some in Ontario still without power too (at least, that was the report yesterday). At least it's during the summer, and not the winter, like the ice storm of 1998.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh yes Gypsy, 'twas quite intriguing...
    I'm staying in the guest cabin with the kids and it was a lovely sight at midnight as I watched the derelicte chic walk past my window to see if they could find the downed wire - that had already been repaired by the first set of derelicte chic Hydro Quebec!

    Hee Hee Hee

    ...I think my Angus is acting up - I'd better watch out!

    LOL Val!
    I was actually thinking of you as we flew 4 hours across the country and didn't have to go through customs once.
    'Tis a BIG and BEAUTIFUL country!

    ...crap I got caught at the airport trying to go through security with a pen knife in my carry-on bag... ooops.

    MB I will e-mail you from my mum's e-mail.
    Did you get my other mail?
    There are still lots of people without power around here.
    Some of the folks on the lake here are still using candlelight...

    ReplyDelete
  8. me and val are coming over with some wire cutters..any excuse to get the HQDC out to rescue us damsels..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll be ready and waiting, girls!

    I know exactly which wire to snip...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dale,

    You have quite similar music taste to me, I thought you might appreciate both my blogs:

    http://natterswho.blogspot.com
    http://nattersmusic.blogspot.com

    On my music blog I'll be adding a review of AC/DC at Hammersmith Apollo 2003 soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Dale,
    I had weather like that a couple times where I live. Most people don't trim their trees so a bunch of them fell over.
    The cities work a lot faster at restoring power, so the most time we're out of power is for 30 minutes. Still, that's just enough time to realize how we take electricity for granted. Sad but true.

    ReplyDelete