Monday, August 28, 2006

Our Pub





George and I had an evening out on the town at our local neighbourhood pub before I went on holidays. By "on the town" I mean a seven minute walk from our door along the road past weekender cottages and horse pastures...

These are a some of photos of the evening.
It was a hot summer night and a few of us met for drinks at The Whitehouse.

The pub has quite a history, taking into consideration the relative worldly scheme of things.
It was originally built as a wayside inn to serve the old stagecoach trail that ran north and south along the valley. That same road runs right by our house.
In the years since it has been bought and sold and fallen into disrepair.
The establishment is now owned and operated by a local couple - the wife being the kindergarten teacher at our elementary school...
As a matter of fact, the pub's expansive parking area, that houses an old wooden sailboat, a run down camper and a vintage fire truck, backs onto the school's playground.

The Whitehouse no longer lets rooms, but it hosts many popular events throughout the year and is considered a curious attraction by many.
It has seen its share of millionaires bellied up to its comfortable bar, helicopter tours have landed in the lot out back, the odd fisticuffs has broken out upon its warped red carpeted floors and many a band has held its debut within its hallowed walls...

I always know that when I pay the old place a rare visit, I'll likely bump into a character or two or the odd buddy out for a refreshing wee drop.

I love living in a small town!

23 comments:

  1. Oh Hi Dale!

    I just got your comments! I'm trying to catch up right now with blogging, and I'm getting ready to do my new post in tribute to the Hurricane Katrina victims.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I could make money doing this...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My new post is up! I really like your tribute to the fallen rock musicians, at least they live on through their music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my, i am sorry to hear of your friend. eeks. i am liking the current post of your pics on your blog. very impressive, my favourites

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dale,
    at least a lady keeps her tongue inside her mouth. ;)

    -AM

    ReplyDelete
  6. ... Well George could probably make some money from Ford and Budweiser as he's wearing their product endorsements. Beer and Vehicles .... both good, but not if they're mixed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL Anne-Marie - I noticed that too...

    ReplyDelete
  8. whey hey!!!...zee old whitehouse...my kinda place the bar situated nice and close with no queue...ill have a large glass of noir shampain please barman..you look fab dale and george well george looks like a redneck..lol...(in the nicest possible way you understand)..

    ReplyDelete
  9. lol Gypsy!

    George has the reddest neck of anyone I know...

    He's a pale Scotsman who glows in the dark during winter and becomes a blinding pink in summer...

    Phil wants order 1150 cases of your best Noir... COD of course.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ha ha i forgot he was a thistle crunching sporan crunching jock mac-nasty..oh i will get bert and strap his economy carrier bag to his claws and dispatch forwith..rubs hands with glee..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Who's got the e-bay eyes now? What great pics Dale! You look so much fun...and anyway, Anne Marie, I have NEVER heard Dale claim to be a lady...a madcap yes...a wild thing, yes...a sensitive romantic, fun loving scapegrace, yes, yes...but a lady??...We're only ever ladies when it's convenient and in our interests to be so isn't that right Dale? ;-)

    Love the history of the Whitehouse...must have a great atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  12. humm .... it's tempting to add here and twist things around, but instead I'll be nice and add that she's a great mother and adult sibling. I won't go into the childhood days ;-)

    btw: I like living in the big city and visiting small towns and foreign countries, of course ...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gypsy I'll have Phil watching skyward for Bert... his load swinging pendulously 'neath his puffing wee pigeon breast...

    And you know Val I CAN be a proper lady when the occasion calls... me mum taught me well!

    I think I might try the eyes thing on e-bay! LOL

    I might have just fallen upon a latent talent for getting into character...

    ... I hooted when I saw the photo of me sporting Angus eyes - to match the Moon eyes on Boo...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dale! you look ratarsed (drunk) i'm surprised you are standing up in the top photo. Or was that on the way there?

    ReplyDelete
  15. delbut, i was sitting...

    ...rat arsed be me hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hiya!!
    Ooh I like the sound of your local pub very much ............
    Mine is erm not quite so nice - unless you like drugs, maffia and erm well erm wankers...........

    I sometimes wonder how I manage to have the odd pint there - but then I am such a novelty they love me!!!!

    Thanks for popping by my very boring blog ......... I have put "Get a life" on my to do list for the week.

    Love Bex xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Come on over Bex - the more the merrier...

    The pub is nothing exceptional... I think it's the patrons that keep it interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It sounds delightful!!! I'm glad you went out and had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  19. now bert has to carrie noir shampain AND men in holier than thou jeans...i will have to send him to the gym to beef up for this one..

    ReplyDelete
  20. So can I, Dale, be a lady that is...but as I said..when it's convenient...lol

    I was brung up with a kick on the shins every time I did something un-ladylike! Amazing I'm not permantently legless now..lol

    ReplyDelete
  21. i of course am a lady...its true!.. dont laugh!!..

    ReplyDelete