Sunday, August 20, 2006

Home at Last


It was a long journey yesterday.

This trip was a drop in the bucket compared to the long journey last year where we traveled half way round the world.
Having been to Fiji and back again last summer, Bobby and Jenny are great little travelers adn they are familiar with the necessary airport protocol.

A mere four and a half hour flight took us back across the country to our home.

Our trip began in the morning with a two hour drive to Pierre Elliott Trudeau airport in Montreal.
We had to be there earlier than ever because of the beefed up security resulting from the latest air travel threats.
We had a couple more hours to while away at the airport, so we bought lunch - three sandwiches, a fruit drink each and fruit salad for the mind boggling total of $67.00!!!
Albeit the sandwiches were delicious - gourmet to say the least - but I had a bit of a time swallowing the price...

We visited the bookstore - my favourite place to spend time while waiting for a flight - and we each bought a new book for the journey.
The copy I chose was a memoir of John Lennon written by his first wife, Cynthia. It made for easy, yet interesting reading during the flight.
Bob picked a book of The Simpsons cartoons and Jenny decided upon an activity book involving felt shapes that, when put together, make funny characters on a fuzzy background.

George met us at Calgary airport and we loaded our luggage into the van, pointed it west and headed for home.
The air was filled with a haze of smoke due to some forest fires burning down in the States - it's odd how smoke will drift hundreds, and often thousands of miles from its source.
The mountains on the western horizon did not come into view until we were very near the valley where we gain entrance to The Rockies.
The sun setting through the smokiness added to the magnificent eeriness of their craggy peaks.

We planned to sup at Melissa's Misteak, our favourite restaurant, on our way through the town of Banff.
George missed to first exit off the highway, so we were forced to take the next exit over the level railroad crossing. There was a line-up of vehicles - cars, trucks and campers, trailers and motor homes - waiting at the crossing for two one mile long trains going in separated directions to pass on Siding 29.
We did a loop de loop and headed back to the first entrance and drove beneath the tracks to avoid the wait.

The line-up of traffic should have been our first clue as to how busy my favourite town was...
We drove up and down the streets, through back alleys and round parking lots in order to find a place to safely - and legally - park the van.
There were people everywhere! The streets were crowded as though it were New York City!
We discovered, after walking several blocks, that our lovely Melissa's was overflowing with a crowd waiting outside the door.
By that time we were becoming rather tired and cranky - and we still had an hour and a half drive through the mountains.

We ended up stopping dinner at Storm mountain Lodge, a beautiful old inn looking out across the valley with a view of the mountain in the above photo.
The peak is aptly named for it seems that, even if the weather is lovely everywhere else, it is bound to be inclement over the high Storm Mountain Pass.
Our dinner was rather pricy - again - but delicious.

By the time we arrived home it was 10:30 p.m. local time, but we gained two hours on our cross country flight, so it was 12:30 a.m. for Bob, Jen and myself.
A long day by all accounts and we all slept like logs - in our own beds.

Our holiday with Grandma and Grandpa in another beautiful valley of this vast country of ours was wonderful...

...but it's good to be home!

15 comments:

  1. Glad you are home safe, and it was a good trip.
    cherylann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dale, welcome home dear!!! So glad you're back safely. Will read your post when I'm back from London Tuesday morning. Am just about to leave now. Will explain more later. Hugs and love, Val xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back, Dale.... though saying 'welcome back' is odd, since now you are farther away from me than you were last week! *L* Welcome back to the blog, I guess, is a better phrase. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just popping by to say welcome home! Gotta run but will come back and read your account properly.

    Cheers,
    AM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cheryl Ann - thanks and I'll be over to visit in a bit.

    Val, I read about your Dad on MB's blog and I'm so sorry to hear that he's not doing well - I suspected that might be the case when you said you were going to London.
    I send my love and I hope all works out for the best.

    Mary Beth - I was thinking the exact same thing when I said I was back on your blog!
    It was great to chat with you, even if we didn't manage to meet face to face... next time!

    Anne-Marie - it quite amazes me how well you've managed to keep up blogging while on holidays all summer!
    I had very little time nor did I have easy access to a computer while I was gone - maybe that's a good thing... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is wonderful that you are ceont and back from your holiday. I am sure that you now will be able to serve your animals well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you had a great trip! Ouch on the lunch at the airport! Love the mountain shot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to see you are home and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bootsie - thanks and I've always wondered about the "boots" theme...

    Dan - for shame, but I pulled the photo off the web, but it is a beautiful mountain.

    Leo - ceont?

    Janey - yes, it hurt, but it's over now... lol. You have a fabulous trip to our "great white north", too...and welcome home!

    Lannio - buy Leo a dictionary for his birthday...

    ReplyDelete
  10. DALE!!!..welcome back...long haul though you must have been knackered by the end..but worth it by all accounts...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gypsy! It was great to see my family again.

    I got to hang out with the old folks for 2 weeks...

    It was interesting that they live at a faster pace and live entirely by the clock.

    ...I could chuck all my clocks into the lake and be quite happy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Dale,
    I've had easy access to computers all summer, and I find it relaxing to just disappear online for a little while every day- if you saw how easy my blog set-ups are, you would see how well it works. It's replaced reading the newspaper- much more positive and fun to read what my friends are up to, trust me.

    Glad to read you had a good return. $67 for the food you describe is mind-boggling.

    Welcome back!

    Cheers,
    AM

    ReplyDelete
  13. The problem with my spelling has to do with the fact that they haven't come out with a keyboard for cat paws. It is very difficult to type on a human's keyboard with these paws. I am trying to convince the purchase of a new cat style keyboard - with a mouse of course. I love those computer mice!

    ReplyDelete