Sunday, August 13, 2006

The Passing of the Backhouse

- by James Whitecomb Riley



When memory keeps me company and moves to smiles and tears,
A weather-beaten object looms through the mist of years.
Behind the house and barn it stood, a half a mile or more,
And hurrying feet a path had made, straight to its swinging door.
Its architecture was a type of simple classic art,
But in the tragedy of life it played a leading part.
And oft the passing traveler drove slow, and heaved a sigh,
To see the modest hired girl slip out with glances shy.

We had our posey garden the women loved so well,
I loved it too, but better still I loved the stronger smell
That filled the evening breezes so full of homely cheer,
And told the night-o'ertaken tramp that human life was near.
On lazy August afternoons, it made a little bower,
Delightful, when my grandsire sat and whiled away an hour.
For there the summer mornings its very cares entwined,
And berry bushes reddened in the steaming soil behind.

All day fat spiders spun their webs to catch the buzzing flies
That flitted to and from the house, when Ma was baking pies.
And once a swarm of hornets bold had built a place there
And stung my unsuspecting Aunt - I must not tell you where.
Then father took a flaming pole - that was a happy day -
He nearly burned the building up, but the hornets left to stay.
When summer bloom began to fade and winter to arouse,
We banked the little building with a heap of hemlock boughs.

But when the crust was on the snow and the sullen skies were grey,
We did our duties promptly, there one purpose swayed the mind.
We tarried not, nor lingered long on what we left behind.
The torture of theat icy seat would make a spartan sob,
For needs must scrape the flesh with a lacerating cob,
What from a frost encrusted nail, was suspended by a string -
My father was a frugal man and wasted not a thing.

When Grandpa had to "go out back" and make his morning call,
We'd bundle up the dear old man with muffler and a shawl.
I knew the hole on which he sat - t'was padded all around
And once I dared to sit there - t'was all too big I found.
My loins were all too little and I jack-knifed there to stay.
They had to come and get me out, or I'd have passed away.
Then father said ambition was a thing that boys should shun
And I just had the childrens' hole till childhood days were done.

And still I marvel at the craft that cut those holes so true,
The baby hole, the slender hole that fitted sister Sue.
That dear old country landmark, I tramped around a bit,
And in the lap of luxury my lot has been to sit.
But 'ere I die I'll eat the fruit of tears I sobbed of yore,
Then seek the shanty where my name is carved upon the door.
I ween the old familiar smell will soothe my jaded soul,
I'm now a man, but none-the-less, I'll try the childrens' hole.



This poem has been hanging in my Mum and Dads' bathroom for longer than I can remember...

16 comments:

  1. Hi Dale,
    That's some bathroom reading!

    I hope you're enjoying your time in la Belle Province, and that your family time is going well.

    Cheers,
    AM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Ha Dale, I think this is a lesson in not hurrying your 'business on the bog'!

    Seriously though, it's a lovely tale..almost a ballad in verse, and it must be rather comforting to know it's always there when you go back home.

    What sort of home do your parents have? Do they live in a town or somewhere more remote? Be nice to hear something about the place and surroundings...the scenery in your photos is stunning.
    Love
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dale,

    *LOL* That's hilarious! I've never seen that before.

    It was great to talk to you tonight and put a voice to the face! I'm sorry again we couldn't arrange a meeting....there's always the next trip forsure. :)

    Have a good trip home - I hope you have no delays from the recent airline upsets!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahh what a lovely read whilste whiling away in the bath...such a heartfelt sentiment...thanks for sharing...safe and uninterepted journey home for you all..course if you have to be body searched by a derelicté customs officer then so it be ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's also very finny..lol..I've just re-read it..must have lost my sense of humour last night..really chuckled when I read it just now..safe trip home Dale and looking forward to having you back to normal blogging speed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. psst .... I know this poem as well as you do and decided to take a peak and try things out myself. LOL not in the way many might think!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Dale! Sorry, I haven't the patioence to read all that right now. But I will later!!!!
    Gotta run.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Dale,
    I will have to read this poem again to completely understand it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was good ... I probably would have read it 1000 times if it were in my bathroom.

    Hope you had a good visit in La Belle Province. I'm heading up to the Great White North next week, but am sticking to the center of the universe (aka Toronto *grin*) and near Algonquin Park.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Dale,
    That is an elaborate way to describe such a basic thing. Just checking if I have understood the subject of the poem: does it look anything like the objects you find on one of my very recent posts?
    Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Everyone!

    I haven't forgotten you all - I'm just not near a computer very often.

    This is a quick note to say thanks to all my friends for visiting!

    I miss you, but I am having a great time in "la belle provence"...

    ...and a very busy time.

    I'll be back after next weekend.

    :)
    Dale

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Dale,
    Enjoy the rest of your time there, and don't spend too much time reading bathroom poetry!

    Cheers,
    AM

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Dale, enjoy the rest of your hols..you deserve it girl..We'll look forward to your return..love Val xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Dale, just to say welcome home. I may not be around when you get home because I have to go to London to see my Dad, but looking forward to being back in the loop with you. Have been enjoying getting to know your sister! She seems lovely, but then with a sister like our Dale, what else could I expect?

    Chat soon.
    Love
    Val xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh goodness, that's a funny one!!!!!

    ReplyDelete