Saturday, December 30, 2006

TURKEY SOUP


Today I brought the frozen mush of simmered turkey bones and leftovers in from outside on the front porch.
It was frozen solid and I had to thaw it over the kitchen stove in order to separate the stock.
Now it's back out in the cold on the deck to gel to separate the fat from the stock.
I've made a two-step process into a more complicated three-step operation simply because I had to go skiing the other day!
This evening, after I skim off the top layer of fat, I'll add the vegetables and seasonings to complete the soup.

Over the Holidays we took my sister, Lesley, on an adventure from the bottom of the mountain up the three lifts to the Summit Hut for hot chocolate.
After warming up, we then skied back down the mountain to the base lodge for a total of approximately 7,600 vertical feet round trip.
Way to go, Girl - rubber legs and all!

Christmas Day was fun with the kids waking us up at 7:00 a.m., then rushing upstairs to see what Santa had left.
To their delight, there were more gifts than would fit under our little decorated tree.
We had such a great time watching them unwrap the gifts accompanied by exclamations of oohs and ahhs.
I stuffed the twenty-pound turkey and put it in the oven at 11:00 a.m. to let it roast slowly until done.
Dinner was delicious (if I do say so myself) and everyone ate until stuffed - of course!

The kids have spent quite some time, as well, down at the beach skating on the frozen lake.
It's only a two-block walk to the lakeshore and an industrious soul was out there keeping the ice clear with a snow blade on his ATV - I don't know who was having more fun, he or the kids!

There are only two more days of the year 2006.
It has been an eventful year and a bit of a rollercoaster ride from my perspective.

I am hoping that 2007 will be a good one for my loved ones and friends and I wish everyone a year of prosperity - but most of all a year of happiness and contentment!

10 comments:

  1. Glad you're enjoying the snow. I hope the fire is keeping you warm. Yeah, remember seeing that pot of soup outside when I left.

    Its 3 degrees and as green as can be here. There's probably a huge mud pile at the Oasis .... I'm off there now!

    Happy New Year to you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dale, right back at ya!

    It sounds like you and yours had a wonderful holiday, very relaxing and peaceful. Isn't it funny that even cooking a big dinner on Christmas Day isn't at all stressful when you know that what's important isn't what you're eating, but who you're eating with...

    Enjoy your soup.

    Love,
    Rache

    ReplyDelete
  3. your expressions idylic as always..all the best for 2007..x..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds lovely. What is the Rocky Mountain Trench?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lesley - have fun at your Oasis and remember to bring your wellies!

    Rachel - you're right about Christmas dinner... I don't find it stressful at all.
    ...turkey stuffed and into the oven and then, the last hour or so before serving, I do the rest - it's fun!

    Gypsy - I'll remember to save the lips next time...

    String - "The Rocky Mountain Trench, also called "the valley of a thousand peaks," is a physiographic feature extending 1600 km (995 mi) from Flathead Lake, Montana, to the British Columbia-Yukon border."

    In other words, a big long valley running north and south...
    The unusual thing about it is that our Purcell Range to the west is 60 million years older than the Rockies to the east.

    I Wikipediaed that - and just discovered that it was called "Valley of 1000 Peaks"...

    Fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummm...turkey soup! My Mom made that from our Christmas turkey... all gone now!!

    Best wished for 2007, Dale - may we all have happiness and contentment - the most important things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a very stress free Christmas. It was wonderful.

    My 2006 was a rollercoaster as well. It ended up pretty sweet though. I hope and pray 2007 is a great year.

    Happy New Year Dale!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Mary Beth - I'll probably end up using the left-over stock for cooking all next year!

    I am so happy that your year ended up sweetly for you, PTfan!
    You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete