Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Fur flying everywhere...

Jack

Tippy

Beau

I simply could not resist!
Jack, so named, because my kids were watching a Jack Black movie when we got him, is a multi-coloured Abyssinian guinea pig. Tippy, named for the white tip on her right ear, is a rabbit of unknown breeding and the kitten, Beau, is the result of a brother and sister pairing. Beau has bowed front legs, either a result of inbreeding or possibly an inherited dwarf gene. The only pet we actually purchased was Jack and the other two are rescue animals. We decided to buy Jack, because we could not find any guinea pigs that were up for surrender in town.
Murphy's Law promptly kicked in and there are now four guinea pigs up for adoption...
We are also looking at adopting a Brittany Spaniel through the National Brittany Rescue and Adoption Network in the United States. I am waiting to hear a reply to my inquiry as to any Brittanys that are available, suitable and whether adopting internationally is feasible. It would be so nice to be able to offer a good home for some of those orphaned (young and old) dogs.
We have our hands full now and are looking for a sizeable hutch for the Jack and Tippy. At the moment, they are in a cage divided with cooling racks held together with twist ties!
Necessity is indeed the mother of invention.
I love these furry creatures and I often wish I lived in a place where I could take them all in! Alas, that is not to be, but I will rejoice with the ones who have found a home with us.

7 comments:

  1. Brings back memories of our childhood critters: Streak, Rusty, Cinnamon, Nomannic and even Wolfgang, Scamper and Terry and the others who haven't been named here but are still near to our hearts - tho long gone. Nothing better than having critters along side our lives. My Leopold (Leo) and Rorschach (Rory) give me so much comfort and love.

    lesley
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... Oh and I can't forget our first stray .... Spots, our ginger tabby spotted white cat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a charming family of furry friends you have, Dale. I like that you have rescues too. It sometimes brings difficulties with it, as in all the hang ups my Sin has that make things very awkward to manage at times, but it's very rewarding to see them flourish.

    Necessity cracks a harsh whip at times, but hey, if it forces us to draw on our creativity, it's not such a bad thing either, and sometimes I find myself reluctant to give up my own Heath Robinson contraptions in favour of the real thing....foolish pride, I know ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. awwww! They are adorable. I just want to reach in and cuddle them all. I am excited that you have contacted nbran. I hope that you hear back soon. (I had not heard back from Deb. She is busy.)
    Your home will be like a little sanctuary for furry friends . What a great addition a Brittany would make.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute menagerie. I think international dog adoptions are a lot easier than they used to be- my sister in fact has a Louisiana hound mix that was sent up through the shelter system.

    Good luck with getting the dog.

    xx
    AM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dale,

    such cute pets. If I show Charlotte the pics, she will ask me to get some too. Better I say nothing.

    Thanks for stopping on my blog.
    U2 will be playing in Toronto and Vancouver later this year. Ticketmaster is selling tickets.

    Have a great day.
    Love
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What a great post Dale. Your love is palpable and it's a pleasure to follow along with your growing ... er ... family!

    Jack, Tippy and Beau are the luckiest little ones! Adorable. Gotta love your necessary invention! :o)

    xo

    ReplyDelete