Thursday, August 06, 2009

Smoke


Eugene has a cat - a very old and beautiful cat.
His name is Smoke and he has been in Gene's family going on twenty years now.
Alas, old Smoke is looking toward the Rainbow Bridge, I am afraid.
Gene came over today and asked if I would take a look at his lovely grey tom. It was heartbreaking to see his rheumy eyes, matted coat, distended belly and to feel his bones, sharp and protruding, beneath his skin. Smoke was calm and he looked up with trusting eyes as I held him in my lap on the drive to the vet clinic.
Of course, at his age, the prognosis is not good - cancer or congestive heart failure is the apparent diagnosis. We could do the heroics and spend a fortune in vet bills, but Gene and I both want to see him live out his days the way nature intended. So, the vet gave him an injection for dehydration, a steroid to make him feel perkier and some ointment for his eyes.
When we got Smoke home, he lept from my arms and headed for a the shade where I fed him a bowl of canned salmon. He has had such a difficult time eating lately, that it was good to see him enjoy a meal. No more cat food for Smoke - canned tuna and salmon from now on.
We hope that, when his time comes, Smoke will wander off and find a sheltered spot with a view where he can lay himself down.
It seems that our furry friends are leaving us as quickly as they are finding us.

Take care, Smoke.

11 comments:

  1. Aww, poor Smoke. He really is a beautiful cat. Twenty years is a good, long life for a cat, and I hope his remaining days are painless and peaceful.

    xx
    AM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Anne-Marie.
    That photo was taken only a year or so ago.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. aw, I am sorry to hear about Smoke. I bet he loved that canned Salmon. I agree with you - spoil him rotten with whatever he wants to eat, he deserves it.
    I too hope all the rest of his days are good ones for him until he reaches the Rainbow Bridge where he will be a spunky kitten again.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Smoke is a great cat. It's always sad when our greatly loved cats are ready to leave us. AM and Grace have given their sentiments so well that I can't really add to them - only echo what they say.

    Lesley
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah Dale, this is so touching. I hope his remaining days will be full of great food and peaceful sleeps with the mountains in view.

    We had another panic today as one of Mo's other cats went missing last night and despite all our searches we couldn't find her. However, Mo has just called to tell me they've found her. Because the ship is on the helling (see my blog later), she'd got off the ship but couldn't get back on so went and hid under the floorboards of a shed next to the slipway.

    Today, I am very glad I have a dog that stays close to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Grace, Gene has just gone to town to get some cans of 'real' food...
    Lesley, it's great that you've met Smoke!
    I'm glad Mo found her cat, Val, and you certainly are very lucky to have Sindy Bin - as she is lucky to have you, too!

    Smoke finished the can of salmon, slept on his favourite chair and seems to be doing ok today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww, if you can keep him happy and contented that way, he may go on just a wee while yet, bless his heart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad to hear he is having a good day today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Dale, how was your weekend? and how is Smoke?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww ... thinking about you guys and Smoke today. Sounds like a fine plan for the little love. Wishes for lots of fishes and kisses.

    xo

    ReplyDelete