Sunday, August 23, 2009

Manx A Lot

Beau and Jenny.

After a certain amount of head-scratching, followed up by some concrete research, I discovered we've inherited no ordinary kitty.
It turns out that Beau is a Manx cat.
Manx are typically known for being "tailless", yet their tails do come in all lengths. In order to avoid a certain genetic defect, where the spine is too short causing severe problems, breeders will always incorporate a tailed cat in their breeding program.
Other characteristics of this type of feline include shorter front legs, a broad chest, a plush, "double" coat of fur, a longer-shaped head with ears set far apart, prominent cheekbones and large, slanted eyes - all of which Beau possesses.
Beau does have a long tail, but the odd thing is that he cannot hold it straight in the air. Rather, it will flop over, quite comically, from side to side, wagging awkwardly when he walks.
Another distinguishing attribute is Beau's penchant for playing in water. He loves helping when I water my flowers and he will actually roll in any spills and puddles. I've also had to put his water in a sturdy dog bowl, so he won't knock it over and play in it - or vice versa. I've often discovered Beau soaking wet, and he appears quite content being so. Apparently, he'd rather jump in than drink it! This, too, is another profound characteristic of the Manx breed.
So, there it is - the long and the short of it...
Beau's odd looks and remarkable behaviours have been explained.
Thus far...

17 comments:

  1. He sounds quite the character. And a bit canine too! Definetely a cutie.

    love to Beau xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww. He's a real beau-ty.

    To answer your question on my blog, my kitties were only ever on the condo balcony. real grass (and stairs) are a new thing.

    It's freezing cold here in San Fran! 16C? This is summer?

    xx
    AM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love Manx cats! What a cutie!

    AM sometimes it is quite cold in August in SF - !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute kitty. I had a friend in Ottawa who had a couple of Manx. They're very nice. Looks like Beau has settled in nicely with your gang.

    Lesley
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Grace, he does have some canine qualities!
    But, it's Tnu who's the one who barks...

    So your kitties must be absolutely loving their new home, Anne-Marie! Whoa, where did summer go in California? It's only 9 degrees here this morning, but that's not unusual for the mountains - promises to be a beautiful day, tho.

    String, I had an acquaintance years ago in Saskatchewan who bred Manx cats. She was eccentric as the felines she raised!

    Beau had no problem settling in, Lesley. It's Tnu who's nose is out of joint, but she's beginning to accept the fact that no matter how much batting, hissing and growling she does, Beau isn't leaving...

    I just mopped up a puddle of water on the kitchen floor - apparently I filled the dog bowl too full!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww, I love the description of Tnu's antics. I guess she'll just have to realize that she isn't the only diva living there now. I still get a giggle when I think of her antics when I was there and she forced to go outside - very diva like.

    ps: I messed up my previous comment and therefore that was my delete.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dale... I really need to talk to you about the tax stuff asap. GOt a call from pst and need to get on this. when is a good time to call? I lost your email address! Can you shoot me a quick email at stephanieannstevens@gmail.com?
    thx! Sorry for the posted request!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, I've been 'away' for a day and missed this. Must come back and read. Sounds really interesting...a manx cat..wow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, well, that's amazing Dale. I never knew any of those things about manx cats, and certainly didn't know they liked water. Maybe they would be good ship's cats?

    I wonder too why they would have shorter front legs than other cats. There must be some reason for that.

    Where did you get Beau from? He's got the sweetest little face, hasn't he?

    ReplyDelete
  11. lol Lesley. As Tnu hollers and grips the door jam like her life depends on it...

    I will call you, Steph. I've had to make some life-changing decisions as of late... It's lookin' up now!

    lol Val, I don't know how good a barge cat a Manx would make - abandoning ship for the water crosses my mind!
    Beau was a cat that a girlfriend of Gene's son adopted from a litter. He was ousted by his mum and litter-mates and was almost dead. We originally though he was inbred, but I don't think so - his father was probably a feral cat on the nearby First Nations Reserve.
    In the meantime, the girlfriend is no longer and she needed a home for Beau - she used to call him Phsyco, but he deserves much better than that as a handle. His bowed legs led to the name - with a more dignified spelling...

    ReplyDelete
  12. speaking of kittens.... we have four to give away! Then Scrappy la Mama goes to see Dr. Denise for her fixer upper.
    Tony is in love with one tho.... so while she had 5, we only need 4 homes! Any takers? lol!

    ReplyDelete
  13. scrappy la mama! love it!

    laaaaamaaaa!

    oh wait
    they're alpaca

    lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awww, what a sad little tail...ahem....

    manx for the explanation Dale!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A Cat that doesn't mind being wet...Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  16. :o) :o) :o)

    I'm very behind! He is so darn cute. So is little Mermaid girl. ;o)

    We're getting into a rhythm now with school daze, homework, schedules. Will be back to comment proper.

    Wanted to stop in and wish you a lovely last weekend before school!

    xo

    ReplyDelete