Monday, May 22, 2006

Backyard Camper

We have a camper trailer that is parked in our backyard.
On summer weekends we load it up, hook it to the truck and head for the hills.
Our favourite camping spot is a place called Dunbar Lake. It is a tiny, deep freshwater lake tucked into the folds at the base of a mountain that goes by the name of Lead Queen - I have always thought that would make an excellent name for a rock band...

Right now our camper is at home, yet it is occupied.
I have always had a soft spot for strays - usually animals - but this time I happened upon an acquaintance who has nowhere to live.
The poor dear found herself stranded with two young girls and no place to hang her hat.
The circumstances surrounding her being without a roof over her head are sad, but suffice to say, she is better off now.

We have opened our door to her and the children indefinitely, but she will more than likely be leaving for her home on Vancouver Island at the end of June. She wants her oldest to have the opportunity to finish the school year here.

My heart goes out to my friend and I remember a time when I was in need and received a kind hand up.

I am simply passing along the favour.

10 comments:

  1. god dale thats so lovely of you...but it doesn't surprize me..and yes we all find ourselvles needing a hand at sometime in our lives ...theres always a gaurdian angel such as you..to pick us up when we're down..i hope your friend and her family good luck for their future...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need more people like you in this world Dale. I am glad that your friend has someone she can lean on in times of trouble.

    XXOO
    Zoe
    Hope things work out for her and her daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dale,
    You are a kind and generous person, so like gyspy, I am not surprised either. Your gesture will mean a whole new life to this woman and her children- she is lucky to have you as a friend.

    Hope things are well for you.

    Cheers,
    AM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gypsy, Zoe & Anne-Marie

    I tend to be a bit of a nurturer & nothing gives me more pleasure than to have someone to look after - be it human or animal!

    Thanks for all your positive input - it helps make this universe a good place to be!

    :)
    Dale

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh btw..when the campers empty me and alfies moving in...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Echo, echo, echo all the other comments so far. Your generosity of heart and spirit are things we've come to expect from our Dale, so although there are no surprises that you've done this for your friend, I just want to say hats off to you, or chapeau as they say here in cloggieland.

    Friendship is something I've learnt to count on far more than family, given my roving life, and it's been rewarded by the Dales of life. Glad to know you, girl, even virtually! BTW, I'm next in line after Gypsy, OK? Me and Sin, and even Koos if he can tear himself away from his beloved Holland.
    Val x
    PS, your description of your getaway sounds magnificent. You should write a book, Dale.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Dale,
    That is so kind of you, we definately need more people like you. There are too many people out there who burn others. Unfortunately those same people tend to take advantage of hospitable people. This lady you helped definately isn't one of them. Wish her and her daughters good luck for me.

    I love your drawing of Pete and that letter you wrote for him is very touching.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Val - I know what you mean about the roving life & having to depend upon ones other than family. Some come through, others don't.

    I have always remembered the ones who did.

    Thanks "Chick" - and I have passed everyone's well-wishes along.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...btw, should I start selling tickets?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am the wayward girl that Dale helped. My life is not perfect..40 years old and suffering from some depression and alcoholism...(but gafaw, my family is dutch, norweigan, swedish..ect) Don't know why I felt it important to give my lineage?!:). Anyways my point is that I am the stray. If it were not for Dale, I do not know where I would be. I Love you Dale! Thankyou for everything!!

    ReplyDelete