Wednesday, May 17, 2006

COLLEEN


My best friend from Saskatchewan is coming to visit!
Hooray!

I lived in that province from 1978 until 1986 and we had some great times together in that land of oil and wheat.
We were in our twenties and we did many fun - and some crazy - things.

When I was a newcomer to that prairie province, I was instantly made to feel welcome. My first residence was on the family farm of a friend with whom I went to college.
My college friend and I spent one winter breaking and training four young horses and getting them ready for sale. In the spring we moved into town and got regular jobs.

I met Colleen, a local farm girl, at a "Smiley Manes and Tails 4-H Club" gymkhana meet. I was judging the event and Colleen was a competitor and we have been fast friends ever since. We have seen each other through many a happy time and the odd not-so-happy time, but that's what friends are for!

Although I have not lived in Saskatchewan for twenty years, Colleen and I have kept in touch.
I have always wished we could keep in closer contact and it looks like my wishes have been granted.

Welcome to blogdom, my dear friend - this one's for you!

9 comments:

  1. The picture is really cute! Can I have a copy?

    It's good to have best friends. Hope you and your friend have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable pic, Dale, and a very warm, touchin story about your friendship. It's great to have such long terms friends, isn't it. I lost touch with most of the friends of my youth when I went to SA, but I've recently been picking up the traces, and have re-established contact with two of my old college digs mates, and it's great to discover how much we can still share.

    Make the most of her visit, and have fun! Knowing you, that's exactly what you'll have....
    Love
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah cute pic...hope you and your friend have a great time..relive some old times..yay!...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, that's really great news! How long is she staying? Is only she coming or her fam too?

    I love the way you write. You use good descriptive words. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. henry ate spoon??...is this true???...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwwwwwww - I LOVE that picture! Could you hear me go 'awwwwwwww' as I read your blog? *L*

    I hope you both have a great time together. Sounds like Janey and I - we were best friends in high school, but live far apart now, and keep in touch. Every time we get to see each other is precious, since they are VERY few and far between!

    Have fun! :)

    (oops - sorry - I posted as Sammy in the comment above, so I deleted it!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is the cutest picture! I have two cats that look like them too.

    It is so cool to be able to connect with old friends. I wish I could see my best friend I grew up with. My brother informed me though that she had passed away. I think of her often. I just wish I could of seen her one more time. Her name was Maureen but we called her Mimi.

    XXOO
    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dale,
    what a cute picture. I'm glad you've got this visit to look forward to. Nothing like old friends getting together.

    Have a great long weekend!

    Cheers,
    AM

    ReplyDelete