Friday, May 19, 2006

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY MUSE

This is a portion of the letter and a copy of the framed portrait that I sent Pete last year for his birthday.





Dear Mr. Townshend

Please accept this gift as a token of my admiration of you and of my great appreciation for your work. I have never made it a habit of writing to people that I do not know, although I find myself relatively familiar with you through your writings and your musical compositions.

May I note that you are rather revealing in your writing... You will no doubt have heard it all before, but this time there is a difference – it comes from me.

I take special delight in your ease to oscillate between omnipotence and self-doubt. You wear your heart on your sleeve. You are the Star, albeit the self-professed reluctant one, and yet you have the knack of maintaining your own down to earth, approachable, human qualities.

I will introduce myself as briefly as possible, although I do tend to be rather verbose, for I enjoy writing. It was with the encouragement of others, including my husband, that I was ultimately able to pluck up the courage to prepare and send this to you. As well, I find my own artwork to be of a highly personal nature at this early stage.

I was born in 1957 in Montreal where I lived with my family until I was eighteen. It was then that I moved to Edmonton where I went to college and studied Horsemanship. Two years later, after graduation, I began to muck about working with horses throughout Saskatchewan, Alberta, Quebec and British Columbia. I became disillusioned with the horse business and I eventually moved to the rural town of Canmore just outside Banff National Park. While living there, I worked with the tourism industry in the Town of Banff.

My oldest daughter was born in Canmore in 1990 and during that year I went back to college in Calgary where I studied Accounting. I considered it not the most glamourous of professions, but I enjoyed doing it and it offered good employment opportunities for a single parent.

In 1993 I settled in the small resort town of Windermere in the Canadian Rockies where I now live with my husband, George and three children, Beth (15), Bobby (9) and Jenny (8). I work part time at the local Ford dealership in the administration department and I also do the books for my husband’s auto body business.


We spend our summers camping, mountain biking, horseback riding, swimming and boating on the lake - we are only two blocks from our local beach and marina. Winters are spent snowmobiling, skating and skiing at the nearby resort of Panorama Mountain Village.

When I was young, my family and friends encouraged me to nurture my artistic talents. I enjoyed writing and my stories and compositions were the ones that were consistently read to the class in school. During those years I did some sketching as well, and was on my way to developing a flair for drawing horses. I eventually ended up pursuing my outdoor activities instead, and I put away the pens, pencils and paper - until now.

I discovered my talent for human portraits a very short while ago. In fact, it was only in June of last year that I attempted my first pencil portrait. The result is a sketch of Keith Moon. This may appear odd, but I felt compelled to do the piece after reading Moon’s biography. In keeping with the theme, I decided to attempt a sketch of you, thus the enclosed portrait. I am presently working on a third piece. It is a long process, given life’s challenges and time for myself is limited, but I am persisting.

I have always been a champion of The Who and their music. During my teenage years, while all my girl friends were immersed in Beatlemania, I was completely swept away by your fascinating “bad boy” band - and I do admit that I was subject to a schoolgirl’s crush on Keith Moon.

The one, striking moment happened while I was listening to Quadrophenia and I found myself completely blown away (for lack of any other term). It was then that I realized it was no mere “rock star” writing and composing this music. That was the point where I truly discovered the genius behind it all.

Enough to say, that since then, I have observed you through your tragedies and your triumphs and I continue to be inspired by you.

Happy 60th Birthday, Pete!


...somebody saved me, I thank you my friend

20 comments:

  1. Dale,

    That is a beautiful letter. Did he write back?
    I wrote him twice and twice he replied. I never sent him one of my pics though.

    I love this drawing. You are so talented. You MUST do more.

    Have a great weekend Dale!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Dale
    I don't know what to say now. Your portrait brought a lump to my throat on its own and the letter fills in so many gaps for me. I wonder if he replied? But even if he didn't, I admire you for sharing your life with us, Dale.

    With that streak of adventure that you always seem to have had, the off-the-rail-Dale who appears with such enthusiasm in Blogland begins to make more sense. Is this maybe a reaction to the order imposed by figures and books and life in general?? If so, I think it's absolutely healthy!! Keep on being a Who champion, Dale! If it inspires you in this way and brings out your talents for us to enjoy, ITS GREAT!!!

    Love and hugs (ok, I'm feeling soppy and sentimental tonight - I'm allowed - I still have 20 mins left of my birthday!)
    Val
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dale,

    Wonderful letter, beautiful!!! Did he write back to you?? I hope he did....
    Your drawing is cool, thanks for sharing!!

    Love,

    Elena
    XXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I received a lovely reply...maybe next post...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dale
    Thank you so much for sharing this letter with us and, visually oriented as I am, especially the stunning portrait.
    Love
    (+take care)
    Koos
    (back from a blogger's block)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dale,

    Wow, what a wonderful, heartfelt letter - and I learned so much about you from reading it also! As always, your drawings amaze me. I'd love to see the reply you received....!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm. Beautiful. All of it.
    Quadrophenia is my favorite ever. You are so right. It is genius. Some people just don't get it and it is just regular music to them that they might not even like. I don't understand how they can just be so ho hum about it when it is .....well, genius! But then there are others, and we all know each other from the blogs, who get it and are moved in the deepest regions of our souls by that music. It's great to have friends who understand and appreciate with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Zoe, Val, Elena, Koos, Mary Beth & PTfan!

    I would like to make a comment regarding this letter - I wrote it before I had ever heard about "blogging", nor did Rachel have her own page at the time - it was one hundred percent from my heart with a passion that I now know you all share!

    I had no idea that I would meet others who knew & felt the same as I...

    Thank you all, once more, for your inspiration, support & encouragement!

    Love
    Dale

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...and not to forget, your friendship!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Thank you all, once more, for your inspiration, support & encouragement! ...and not to forget, your friendship!"

    That is completely mutual, Dale
    Love
    Koos

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow dale if i were pete townshend id have been blown away by your beautiful drawing (which you can see was done with love)..and your self expression in words...HE is lucky to have a fan such as you...

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful drawing .. you are truly talented in portraits and I think you captured Pete beautifully. What a lovely letter ... thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Dale,
    What a lovely tribute.I hope you're having a great weekend. We're heading towards NYC tomorrow, right now we're camping in lovely Florida, NY!

    Cheers,
    AM

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Dale,
    What a lovely tribute.I hope you're having a great weekend. We're heading towards NYC tomorrow, right now we're camping in lovely Florida, NY!

    Cheers,
    AM

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow you watched the wall for the first time....being an artist yourself i bet you liked the gerarald scaffe illistrations..its a strange film moving for pink in parts as a war child and the subsuquent effect on his adulthood...

    ReplyDelete
  16. sorry subsequent..its early im still half asleep..

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is hilarious what "you" said about teh island and Keith! I don't even know who to reply to anymore!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Dale
    Was reading your comment on Gypsy's blog about the Wall, and wanted to say I only saw it for the first time myself last year. It's quite a movie isn't it?? I actually found it quite disturbing, but you're right Bob Geldof was rather yum - maybe he still is, but I haven't seen him for years.

    As I said to Gyspy, I re-read my own comment about her Cher post after I'd published it, and thought OMG, I haven't said it was about Cher, and it looks as if I'm writing about you. Awful moment, it was, so just to let you know I think you are A1 and will probably never need to have bits re-arranged if you carry on looking as young and hip as you do now!
    Love
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  19. No worries, Val!

    I read your comment on Gypsy's & I knew you were talking about Cher & not me.

    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  20. hey Dale! Just read your comment on my blog.. rock on, girl! great idea! with all those guitars in the house you could be your own one man band..or one girl... puts a new strat(a) on life....

    we love our music, even if no one else does! Luckily no neighbours to complain here. The up side of a bohemian lifestyle!

    Go do it, Dale, we'll all support you.
    Love
    Val

    ReplyDelete