Friday, July 31, 2009

A Wedding and Things

Tnu

We are off to Stephanie and Tonys' wedding tomorrow!
I've searched out the perfect gift, assembled two summer salads and banged out a long list to assist my feeble, menopausal mind...
I also managed to secure affordable lodging in a little settlement with the dubious name of Dead Man's Flats. There is a story as to how that place got its name, but it escapes me right now.
Note to Self: must get hold of Walter Morris...
This is a the busiest long weekend of the year and we will be traveling from one tourist destination to another. The highway will be crazy, with a capital C, but we hope to miss most of the traffic by leaving early. We will, no doubt, still be held up by the ubiquitous bear, elk, deer and coyote jams, as visitors stop along the shoulder of the road, jostling for the best photo opportunity.
Thus, our traveling motto is; "No Hurry".
The weather is still hot and unusually muggy, causing evening thunderstorms of threatening proportions. Last night lightning struck several hundred yards away around the shoulder of the hill. It sent Tnu and me scurrying - and Eugene laughing...
A couple of minutes later, we heard sirens (police or ambulance) followed by the blasting horn of the local fire truck as it left the station. We still don't know what the outcome was, but we are certain it was in response to the fact that lightning struck in a relatively populated area.
Um, like next door...
Clouds are gathering along the edge of the valley as I speak (er, so to speak) and it looks like it might be another eventful nightfall.
Who needs TV when I have mother nature at the doorstep?
I've also been kept occupied with continued unpacking and setting up house. I have most of the big stuff done, but the smaller touches take a mite longer.
And the aquarium and my desk are still countering for position...
I've been tending my planter garden on the deck, registering Bobby for summer camp, hosting a myriad of sleep-overs, shopping at the Farmer's Market, doing as little cooking as possible in the heat and doing as much as possible to stay cool.
Speaking of which, we are off to the beach before lightning strikes again...

9 comments:

  1. Yes, I do remember those beautiful Brittany pictures. Well, they are great dogs Dale. They have lots of energy, lots of excercise, but they are a wonderful, loyal family pet.
    I don't see why they wouldn't adopt a Brittany to you in Canada? I am not completely sure though. The website to go to is NBRAN.org. that is where I got Summer from. There is the application to fill out there, and e-mail to ask questions....
    oh, that would be so awesome. :) Keep me posted! Or I'll be asking you about it! :)

    July 31, 2009 4:01 PM

    (I am on a quick break from work, so I copy/pasted from my blog about your Brittany question.) I must come back and read more about your wedding and things....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can e-mail NBRAN, Deb, and ask her too, what the situation is about adopting a dog to Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be great, Grace!
    I'll do some checking from this side of the border, too.

    Thanks!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard back from Deb yet. As soon as I do, I'll let you know, but most definetely don't wait for me. Oh, the thought of one of those beautiful Brittanys being part of your family really feels me with joy. There are so many at nbran.org waiting for a good home like yours.
    (sorry, I get a little excited when it comes to happy dogs) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Dale, please please give Stevie a huge hug for me and say 'gefeliciteerd' to her lovely man for nabbing such a lovely wife! Take it really easy on that road out there too.

    Your weather sounds much like what we used to have on a daily basis in SA too. Hot, uggy (haha, that was meant to be muggy, but uggy sounds even better ;-)) and the daily thunderstorm to deafen and blind you.

    You sound very upbeat and happy in your new home. I'm so veryglad for you.

    Enjoy the trip the wedding and everything xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dale,
    your sis and I had a blast last night at the Wholigans show. Please pass along my congratulations to Stevie and her new hubby, and have a fantastic time!

    xx
    AM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Duck Family jams...
    Wolf jams...
    Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep jams...

    Planes, trains and automobiles...
    We stayed in a tiny cubicle (hence, inexpensive) room at a motel along the Trans Canada highway (4 lanes) between Banff/Canmore and Calgary.
    The sounds of air traffic, the Canadian Pacific Railroad and vehicle traffic wafted through our window continuously.
    It was a paradox, considering we were surrounded by some of the most incredible mountain scenery in the world!

    xx

    ReplyDelete