Thursday, June 29, 2006

SUMMER



Hurray, it's the last morning of school before the summer holidays!

Okay for the kids, that is. As a parent I am faced with the dilemma of balancing the fact that the kids are at home and I am at work.

My older daughter is working full time - which is really a great thing, but I have lost my in-home daycare worker. For the most part anyhow. She works shifts, so can be home at times while my husband and I are not. The two younger ones are still enjoying their childhood, so putting them to work is totally out of the question...

I love the summer and all that it has to offer and our mountain lifestyle embraces these months wholeheartedly. We are a five minute walk to the lovely public beach where there is a small playground, as well as an excellent swimming location with a diving raft just off shore.

There are world class downhill mountain biking trails at Panorama Mountain Village where several events and competitions are held each year. As well, many biking trails undulate throughout the forests lower down in the valley.

Hiking trails wind throughout the trees above the lake and there are many more excellent hikes through nearby Kootenay National Park. The mountain scenery is enough to bring one to their knees in awe.

We spend many of our weekends camping at a favourite site on a small remote lake. It's a forty-five minute drive into the backcountry along a logging road. The lake is cold, deep and an has an excellent supply of large trout - if one can catch them! The fish are so well fed that a tiny morsel on the end of a fishing line holds no attraction for them at all.

I used to ride horseback, but now my horse is retired to pasture across the lake. He is old and living out his days in luxury with his buddies, as a horse should. Once my kids are grown I will take up riding again. It is my passion - or rather - one of my passions!

To say it all, we have some friends from the city who have a cabin around the corner from us. They laugh and say, "What do you mean you're going camping? This is camping."

It's all relative, I guess!

Photo: Lake Windermere, British Columbia

13 comments:

  1. Dale,

    I love the mountains and the lake. Your home sounds/looks so serene and beautiful. God is such an amazing artist, isn't He?

    ~Lace~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lace - Yes, art in all forms is His forte!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dale,
    Well, I've closed my door for good today too.

    It must be hard for parents who work and need to make arrangements for their kids for the long holidays. I know that camps, etc... are expensive. Are you taking any time off aside from the trip to Montreal?

    Your surroundings sound lovely.

    Cheers,
    AM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hee, Dale, you and I crosspost in perfect synchronicity. Check out my new blog title. :)

    Cheers and goodnight for a bit,

    AM

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are so lucky to live in such a scenic place...bet the air is beautiful there...everytime you go outside here you have to wash your face cos of the soot..lol..

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...is that why they call it Ashington, Gypsy?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Dale,
    I will need to seek assistance from Mummy about altering my settings. When she is less busy obssessing about this trip she is taking across this pond. Who wants to cross a pond anyway? You would get wet!!!!

    *bisous*

    Creemie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Dale,

    I have to agree with your friends - I love being in the outdoors, but my idea of camping is a cabin with running water, electricity, satellite dish, and dishwasher!! *L* Like you said, it's all relative..... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. ha ha dale yes ash-in-town.. all together now....dirty old town...dirty old town...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Dale,
    Hope you enjoy your summer! you're lucky that you live close by to those nice places.

    I will be going to Morro bay this weekend and it will take four hours for me to get there.

    You can still drop by my blog this weekend, I have left several videos for everyone to enjoy until I get back.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Dale,

    Mummy helped me change my settings. She is a very good cat teacher. Your pets can now come and say hello.

    *bisous*
    Creemie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Dale, Lovely photo. We do lots of camping and fishing. Even if you don't catch a fish it is still a great time!! We love being by the water. We have similar areas around us, it is wonderful and peaceful. Have a great weekend. x Grace

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for your visit, and most importantly your comments.
    Panorama Village?
    Wonderful!
    It’s been years -loved to drive over from Calgary.
    Had a friend with niiiice “cabin” at Indian Head Lake…
    Love all that area…. Hmmm – aren’t we just lucky/blessed to live in such paradise?

    ReplyDelete