Sunday, July 23, 2006

All this talk of dancing...


Yesterday was a great day.
We rose early and took Beth to work where she serves fancy coffees and sandwiches to hungry tourists.
The rest of us headed into town for the free pancake breakfast presented by the Chamber of Commerce to celebrate Valley Appreciation Day.
Main Street was blocked to all traffic and vendors had their booths set up to display and sell their wares.

I bought a giant cucumber, but I had no bag for it.
I felt rather foolish walking up and down the street with a huge green vegetable under my arm, so I ducked into my workplace and left it on my desk while I returned to see what more trouble I could find.
I found another bag full of fresh veggies - picked that morning - from an acquaintance who has a greenhouse in the valley.
I promptly placed those alongside the giant cucumber on my desk.

When I returned to the festivities I was greeted by live music at one end of the street and a foot-stompin' show by the Square Dance Club at the other.

An old friend of mine - from another lifetime before kids - had a booth and was selling her beautiful stoneware that she designs, glazes and fires at her pottery studio. I decided to treat myself and bought a lovely blue-green glazed serving platter with a side dish.

I also bought two lollypops with real caterpillars encased within the candy - Jenny ate one - minus the bug, but Bobby wouldn't touch his!

By eleven thirty it was already very hot and the children were ready to go home and cool off in the lake.

I spent the afternoon doing odd jobs about the house while the temperature rose to the ridiculous height of 40 degrees C!
We had the sprinkler watering the grass so I was able to leap through it every now and then to cool myself off.

After dinner we walked to the neighbourhood pub where they were celebrating their annual fun golf tournament.
It's nice to visit with old friends whom we don't get to see very often throughout the year.
I even got to help round up the chicken for the chicken poop scramble...
The hen was let loose upon a large piece of cardboard divided into numbered squares.
A person can buy a square and the winner is the one who's square the chicken first poops on!
Simple.

The live music was a great rock and roll band with a Scottish twist called McQuaig.
The front man plays both rhythm guitar and bagpipes.
...and no, not at the same time - for any of you wise guys.

During the break between sets some of us headed down to the lake for a refreshing skinny dip off the dock... how many places can you do that during intermission?

Later in the evening, while I was minding my own business doing my version of the Highland Fling, I felt a sudden tear up the back of my left leg, followed by a searing pain that nearly dropped me to the floor.
That resulted in a long hobble home in the dark.
The usual seven minute walk took close to half and hour - although I did stop to pat the horses along the way.

In an ironic twist of fate, I believe I have just torn my Achilles tendon...

19 comments:

  1. ha ha dale...trust you to dance so hard you ripped your tendon...what a lovely day you had ..apart from ICELOLLYS WITH CATAPILLARS IN!....even us trashonites dont have that one and we are in the dark ages...but you will have to take it easy for the next few days till your leg heals..NO! and i mean NO! dancing for a while...you can dance in your mind...i want you better for the st vitus dance dale...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh i could ask brian to put you on his shoulders im sure angus wont mind...

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Gypsy!

    I will dance in my mind's eye!

    Yes, Brian might do, too...

    Angus is pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i saw angus this morning on vh1..he was strutting his stuff to highway to hell..i said hi for you..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dale,
    Sounds like a fun day! Lollypops with caterpillars? that sounds gross, I wouldn't eat the caterpillar. I hope your leg gets better. Hope you're enjoying the rest of the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. DALE!!! That's terrible! So painful..and no more dancing..how will you cope?? Ahh yes, as we said before, we can dance in our minds....but so very sorry to hear that, specially with the fun in the sun all around.

    Caterpilallars in lolly's...hmmm, think i'll pass..and puke..lol

    40 degrees..WOW..that's mean..is it humid too there? Sounds as if your day was real fun though, until IT happened...

    Milk it, girl, get all the TLC you can!
    xx Val

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, I like your story a lot, but I just don't like the ending. Can you change it to a happy ending?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenny ate everthing but the caterpillar, Chick!

    Val, the weather is not as humid as yours is. The region where we live is semi-arid, so the air is much drier. There was a high thin cloud cover last night, so it didn't cool off as much as it would if the skies were completely clear.

    PTfan I wish I could change the ending!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Dale
    Any news on your injury? I hope you've had it looked at by now..that's not something to take lightly my friend....., despite our levity.

    ReplyDelete
  10. bupa or joiner? dat be the question....

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's much better today, thanks Val.

    I didn't go to the doctor because it is so much better. I don't think it's a tear, rather a pulled tendon/muscle. There is very little swelling, but it still hurts like the devil if I walk off my toes, so it's hobble hobble. I don't get anywhere very quickly!

    I am familiar with these type of injuries from working with performance horses & doing a lot of our vetting ourselves. I also studied it at college.

    If it doesn't improve over time, I'll definitely see the doc.

    What's bupa, Gypsy? If a joiner is a carpenter, well I have one at home in the shape of my George...

    :)
    Dale

    ReplyDelete
  12. can I tell? can I tell? Dale, BUPA is a private medical insurance company in the UK, and they also have a lot of hospitals and health centres etc, all for people who have bupa policies....I used to work for them at one time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooops, should have put this one first...so glad your foot is feeling better, Dale. Guess with all that horsing around you would know about these things, hey?? lol

    Anyway, dear, take it easy and lean on Brian, Angus and George. A carpenter is a joiner, but is a joiner necessarily a carpenter? Thought for the night....hmmmm

    I see gypsy's still in 'spearean mode..

    ReplyDelete
  14. its the side effects of the shakespearean taunts from the comments val thou ist scared for life..dale you can certainly do the st vitus dance now with your gammy leg...

    ReplyDelete
  15. bupa...sounds like something a baby would do...

    We've got provincial medical insurance - with the imaginative name of British Columbia Medical Services...

    We're watching a movie - the King has taken his Rightful throne & the Ring was returned from whence it came into the Fires of Mordor...

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. derelicté chic UPS bloke on the way with tickets...

    ReplyDelete