Saturday, July 29, 2006

The Conflagration of the Netty


The summer of 2003 was hot and dry.
In a region where the forest fire threat remains high even after a week's worth of rain - it was near deadly when not a drop of precipitation had fallen for more than two months.

The drive through Banff and Kootenay National Parks was marred by thick acrid smoke, flames and floating cinders.
The nearest city eventually became out of reach when the road was closed, due to the dozens of hungry blazes devouring the countryside.

The fires also threatened our small settlement on the western slopes of the Rockies, and we had our valuables and emergency supplies at the ready in case of a last-minute evacuation notice.

During that hot summer I was laid up with a painful set of broken ribs sustained in a recent mountain biking accident.
My whole left side was incapacitated and I could do nothing but lie carefully on the couch propped up by pillows.

I lived there and I slept there...

A huge gash had been ripped open on my left buttock, as well, resulting in a large haematoma that only added to my discomfort as both boo-boos vied for supremacy.

Unfortunately, as a mother of three school aged children, life does not stop due to illness or injury.
It remained that I had to rise in the morning, make meals, clean the house, look after the books and go to work.
That all can be very taxing at the fittest of times!

We also had various relatives visit us for the entire month of August.
My sister-in-law flew out from Toronto with her fifteen year old son and nephew for a fortnight.
The following weeks my brother came out to visit from Ottawa with his nine year old and eleven year old sons.
It was a hectic time - all with me flat out sporting a series of bung ribs and a sorry butt.

During the time my sister-in-law was here, one of our neighbours across the way hosted a lovely wedding for their grandson.
The couple was piped in and married in the garden.
We attended the following reception with dancing and live music - which included my George on bass guitar, a lead guitarist, a violinist and a piper.

I retired relatively early from the festivities, due to a certain amount of discomfort and the responsibility attached to my label of Mother.

At two o'clock in the morning I was roused suddenly by my sister-in-law shouting those words I had been dreading... FIRE!
I leapt from bed - broken ribs and ripped butt be damned - and flew upstairs.
Looking out the kitchen window I could see a column of flames leaping high into the tree tops - the tinder-dry treetops...

My hands shook as I dialed the local volunteer fire department and did my best to explain what was happening and where we were located.
I always thought I'd be very cool in a situation like that.
...apparently not.
I ran back downstairs to rouse the children from bed and hauled them back upstairs and outside.

We stood in horror as we watched the neighbours rented blue plastic outhouse writhing in a crackling dance of flames and smoke - dangerously close to their house and the trees.

In no time there were five garden hoses hissing and sputtering through the burning and melting mass that was once the loo.
As the fire department arrived, the last of the fire was being drowned by the quick-thinking souls who had such presence of mind to gather hoses and water within mere seconds.
The fire fighters then set their hoses upon the surrounding trees to avoid any further spread of the inferno.

As it turns out, the wedding party, who had been strongly advised against it, had kept a candle lit in the plastic port-o-potty.

All for the sake of ambiance...

28 comments:

  1. Thank you Dale,

    While reading I forgot to breathe. So that's what breathtaking means. Excellent writing, very evocative, and a beautiful climax.
    Thnknks again for sharing this (and the honour of being notified personally)!

    Love
    Koos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Dale! Gulp! Like Koos, i was holding my breath in my gallop to reach the end of your tale..very very evocative! I guess what it tells me is that you live with an almost constant wariness about fire and its devastating comsumption in your part of the world..

    OMG Highway to Hell is playing on my radio as I write..how very very apt!

    Angus, where are you?? Somewhere near here it seems!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apparently Angus is never very far away...

    ReplyDelete
  4. god dale ive never experienced anything like that..it must be quite scary living with the threat of forest fire...i hope you fully recoverd from your injuries..your a strong soul dale i susspect nothing on this earth would stop you...oh btw wuthering heights explained for you on my humble blog..

    ReplyDelete
  5. And yes, we do live with the threat of forest fires most summers.

    The forestry department is pretty thorough at spotting fires before they get too large.

    They keep close eye on the weather and are in the air in helicopters if they think there may have been a lightning strike.
    Irresponsible campers not tending to their campfires are another hazard...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Gypsy - my leg is much better, but still a bit swollen and I still belong in Hobbliton.

    I did read you blog and left a message.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol...hobbilton...is that in morfiredor...firehelmetsdeep..

    ReplyDelete
  8. lego-breakslass in case of emergency lol this is getting silly now!..

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh so you've just noticed how silly this gets?

    ReplyDelete
  10. hello dale i went to bed but couldnt sleep its 5.15 woohoo good name for a song

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why should I care...

    Why should I care?


    ...i'm talking to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. it is a mullet dale ..dont you start talking to yourself aswell!!...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Umm..feeling embarrassed...what's a mullet?

    Glad to hear your fire department keep a close watch on things there..was beginning to worry with you saying you'd woken up in the fireplace..like Gypsy's log..lol..not her blog..

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh yes, also very very glad to know your leg's on the mend even if you are still a hobblit..

    After K's post, you know where to find a spare one now if you need it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. ha ha val...a mullet is a very bad hair cut thick on top and stragly on the bottom..not derlicé!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. can someone call the fire brigade that fire is still raging...or send in the MARINES!!..

    ReplyDelete
  17. It was the bloody Marines who caught it on fire in the first place.

    Did I mention that the grandson who got married was in the Armed Forces?

    It was he and his army buddies who came up with the bright... no pun intended... idea to put a candle in a styrofoam cup with some sand in the bottom of it to light the interior of the loo?

    ... they got more light than they bargained for!

    ReplyDelete
  18. They really got a torch instead of just a candle there then, didn't they Dale...bet that shook them up!

    BTW, it must be so exciting to watch the storms come across the lake..fancy doing a house swap sometime?? I think I would really love living there..it would be a lovely substitute for my African mountain..in fact even better with the lake too....Let us know when the storm breaks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm afraid our house might blow down at any time now, Val!

    The trees are almost hoizontal in the wind and it's getting blessedly cold!

    All the windows are closed for the first time in weeks!

    ...all these exclamation marks the tlac will be on me...

    ReplyDelete
  20. did someone metion the tlac...my bro was burning my weeds today i said crikey ill end up with a forest fire like my friend dale...he said what??????

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Dale,
    Be my guest any time when it comes to borrowing legs I don't own.
    Remember the definition of a Dutchman: just like a Scot, but stripped of the generosity. Not my own words though.

    Did you really hurt your leg on purpose, as evil tongues suggest?
    Sorry for the sore leg Dale, get better soon, is my wish.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dale, Gyspy's not well...poor wee lassie

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dale, I emailed you the song! Thanks SO MUCH for asking about it! I am stoked!

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  24. ...and no, Koos I did NOT hurt me leg on purpose... as evil tongues suggest......gypsy.

    she thinks I'm after a certain botttie...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks Lionel, it's great!

    I am very impressed and so is my hubby...

    He played bass in a band many years ago!

    ReplyDelete