Saturday, December 10, 2005

SKIING DAY ONE


Sunrise over the Rockies.

Yesterday was opening day at our local ski resort, as many of you know!!

Like I haven't spoken of it for weeks now...

The day was grand.
We woke up to snow falling, but that soon turned into a clear, sunny day. The temperature hung at about -10 C. Perfect!

I rose early and went about my regular morning chores, as well as making sure all our ski equipment and clothing were all in order.
Skis, boots, poles, snowboard, hats, neck warmers, mitts, goggles, helmets and a bag packed with extra hats, neck warmers, mitts, goggles...

After breakfast, I dropped the two younger ones at elementary school. My older daughter came into town with me to catch the bus up to the hill and I went to work just down the street from the bus stop. Half an hour later my daughter showed up at my work. The bus had not arrived.
Oh....

A quick scramble ensued, but it all worked out with my daughter catching a ride with my friend who had room in her vehicle. I was to meet them up there later.
I worked till noon and on my way home picked up my younger kids from school. We quickly got ready and out the door. We stopped for some fast food on the way.
Fast food used to be cheap...

The drive to the hill was beautiful. The sun was shining and the scenery a winter spectacle along the way.
When we arrived we unloaded the van and loaded ourselves with the equipment then went to organise our lockers. As season pass holders, we have the opportunity to rent lockers for the season. Very handy.

It was like deja vu...
All the regulars in the locker room, getting our boots and helmets on, chasing the kids down and making sure of that last visit to the bathroom...
My kids had so much fun. My son, the cautious mini-genius, had a great time, too.
Last year, by the end of the season he refused to ski. He was screaming and in tears on the hill. Poor little fellow. We encouraged him throughout the off-season, but not too much. We want him to ski, but it has to be his idea. We want him to want to.
A usual run is led by my younger daughter, followed by me - keeping an eye on her and waiting for my son. By the end of the day he was laughing and beating us to the bottom!
That was reward enough for me!

My last run was on my own. The kids waited at the bottom for me. While riding the lift up, I saw my two friends and managed to time it right to meet them. We took a ride further up the mountain and had an excellent, if not leg-burning, run back down to the bottom.
All three of my kids met us there.
We ended the afternoon with a drink of pop in the bar where we reunited with many or our other ski friends. We regaled each other with stories of our travels and adventures from the past summer.

Our drive back down the mountain was beautiful.
It was dark, the moon was rising over the crest of the dark bulk of the mountains with the evening star complimenting its glow.

We are decorating our Christmas tree this morning, then heading back up for another fun afternoon in the snow and the sun.

I will attempt to post a photo of our tree next week.

8 comments:

  1. What an excellent day. Thanks for the pic of the Rockies. I miss em.

    The Jam is 4 hours long. Maybe you could stop by.

    Hello! The Basement Jam loop is up and running smoothly. Three cheers for Rachel, Pete and the team at eelpie!! I don't know about you but I'm ready for a party! I will be in Ballerina Gurl's chat - http://pub6.bravenet.com/chat/show.php/456044885 - around 5:15 pm eastern time Sunday December 11. I tried to base this time around the majority. Sorry if it does not fit your schedule? I have invited a special guest co-host, who excepted, and you never know who else may honor us with an appearance. The loop should start at 5:30 pm. You are cordially invited to stop by and join us. Thanks.

    Peace, love and light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great place to live!

    I put some info in following your comment on my blog about the music club, if you're interested!

    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey aq what's with all the "!" in your comment?? I dunno... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved reading this post Dale, what a day, and I know how much you've been looking forward to it. I'm ever so jealous, can't wait til me and Rene get to the slopes, thanks for sharing this, I hope you do more blog's and get more photo's, they are amazing, thanks Dale. Good to hear about your son.
    Take care.
    mikey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! finally!!! This sounds so much fun, I love the snow...

    I wish it snowed here in London more often, it's magical when it does.

    Tree photo is up on my blog.

    Have lots of fun, it's fantastic that you share this with your family!

    xoxoxo
    M

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dale,

    I love and miss skiing very, very much.

    Thank you for your posts on my blog. I have been so busy, I sometimes have time to read, but not to reply, but I am tickled to read your posts on my blog.

    The not smoking is going very good. I had that one set back but haven't given in to temptation since. I know it is going to be hard during the holidays, but I hope to stay strong.

    Wasn't the Basement Jam awesome?

    Have a super weekend friend.

    Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. YEAH FOR THE SKIING!!!!! How fun that pic looks...love it!

    YES please post your tree...will mention this tomorrow for this week to get everyone excited about the Holidays!

    Take care!
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sooo jealous. There are so few ski hills in this area (i.e. in the 4 hour radius around here) that they are quite packed. Depending on our plans when we get up to Canada for Christmas, I might take my husband to a tame one not far into Quebec (Rigaud - where I learned to downhill)

    ReplyDelete