Friday, November 04, 2005

RACHEL AT WORK and TO SWEAR OR NOT TO SWEAR

Yesterday I was able to watch more of "In The Attic" live than I ever have!
The feed came through on the computer at work crisp and clear.
While I was watching the first half-hour or so, a few of my co-workers came through and checked out what was playing.
"COOL", they all commented, but I'm sure a certain few were just trying to humour me, knowing what a great fan of "The Who" (whoever they are...) I am.
But, before I knew it bosses and everyone were all looking over my shoulder at the screen, quite enthralled, with directions, "Make the screen bigger!".
My "boss" who is really a friend as well (she and her brothers own the small business), told me that if I didn't show up for work one day, she is going to look Rachel and Pete up, sure to find me there in London!
Is it really that noticeable??

Apparently we missed the juicy part of the show...

From what I understand, Pete called a group of people a certain bad word and that is when the sparks began to fly!
As I scrolled through the comments later in the day I caught the jist of what had taken place.
I am hoping that viewers took it all in the way it was presented - tongue in cheek.
We have to remember, this is Pete Townshend - the middle class boy from Shepherds Bush, Acton, Ealing or wherever...
(I have not got my London suburbs all figured out, having never been there).
It was just this attitude that attracted me to The Who in the first place! It was the potty- mouthed, unpredictable, hot tempered group of hooligans that, combined, could make this most amazing music - not to mention put on a great show!
When I was older I realised there had to be some brains behind it all...

I grew up in a household where the rule was "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all". That included everything from one simple swear word to a distasteful comment.
They were words to live by, especially while around my Mum and Dad, but there is much truth to them.
As an adult I can choose whether to swear or not and, yes, I've been known to come out with quite a mouthful! But I know the difference...
As a parent I have to be careful what I say because I am my children's number one role model. My children, at this point, do not have that choice.
If I bring them up in a "swearless" household, they will learn to express themselves without having to use profanity. I am not shielding them from the big, bad world out there, either. They have heard the words and know them. But they are learning the difference...
When they grow up they will know what is appropriate and will have been brought up with that ability to choose.

And, when the situation requires, maintain their dignity...

4 comments:

  1. Hi Dale,

    A wild and crazy in the attic last night. Pete did go on a little for sure. Like you said, he is Pete Townshend after all.

    Sound's like you have parenting down pretty good. Teach them good manners and morals and they will turn out to be fine adults.

    Peace, love, and light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I needed something hot to eat Dale. Didn't have time to cook. Hehe.

    Thanks for the nice comment.

    Biker are we? Cool. Oh the Rockies. Do I ever miss them.

    Peace, love and light to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi Dale!

    I agree with you and we are EXACTLY alike in this situation and how we both are dealing and rearing in our homes. Hats off to you to express your view on the topic!

    So we want to preserve their innocence..SUE US! lol

    Have a great week! I know I will:)
    Molly

    ReplyDelete