Tuesday, November 01, 2005

CHAOS and CANDY

Yesterday, to say the least, was somewhat hectic.
I dropped the two youngest kids off at school on my way to work. There was a stack of papers waiting for me in my "in" basket, but that I don't mind. The more work the better, but it is month-end so the push is on to complete everything.
Over my lunch break I went to see the doctor about an unusual irritated skin spot on my face. As it turns out, it is a squalor cell carcinoma, a non-malignant type of skin cancer. A little bit scary, I must say...
In order to have it removed I have to see a (get this) plastic surgeon. Due to its location on the bridge of my nose it will require certain amount of skill and care during removal. I am certain that it's from being sunburned while skiing - I can see the pattern from my sunglasses around the top of the spot. From now on I will have to apply sunscreen more often while I am on the hill, especially in springtime.
The plastic surgeon whom I have to see practices about 1 1/2 hour's drive away in the town where I lived for several years. My oldest child was born there. My husband will come with me for the procedure. At this time I am not quite certain what it entails, but I think it's a fairly simple one.
On the bright side, it's a beautiful drive crossing the mountains and driving through two national parks!

That is not the end of it all.
It was Halloween last night and I was very busy helping the kids do homework, carve pumpkins, get costumes ready and see that our candy and decorations were all in order.

In the meantime, I received telephone calls from the high school regarding my older daughter missing classes. We have been through this before and it has been discussed at length with the guilty party. Apparently she insists.
I feel very strongly about my children receiving a decent education and I am adamant about attending class on a regular basis.
Unfortunately, the ultimatum that had been presented to her previously was not enough. We have been forced to take the drastic measure of revoking her current seasons pass to the ski hill.
I feel utterly sad and completely helpless (useless might be a better word).

On a brighter note, the other children had a great time trick-or-treating with Dad!
(I would love to have gone along, but I had the letter to the auditor to complete and properly compose. It's done and will be sent away today).
The candy is piled high! There is no hope in heaven that we will be able to eat (and maintain our good health) all of it!
I so enjoy watching the children grow and have so much fun!

What is it that when a girl reaches that teen age they morph into someone/something else?
What happened to the fun little girl that I used to know?
I hope she is in there somewhere....

I cried myself to sleep last night...

On the bright side, it is times like this that I DON'T want a drink.
It is the furthest thing from my mind.

1 comment:

  1. Oh goodness gracious, what a day! Sorry about it. I am feeling pretty crazy myself and as soon as I read your new blog post I am logging off and getting to work.

    ReplyDelete